PDA

View Full Version : how do you proceed?

Swiss Cheese
12-01-2003, 12:42 AM
I am in a 10-20 game I know the player to my immediate right and left. All the other players I have played with the last 1.5 hrs for the first time. Most seem to be poor player calling stations and any two kind of players that do not care what you have only what they have. Player to my left is overly aggressive and plays too many hands, but does play well post flop.

I limp in the cutoff after 4 limpers w/J /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif button calls and the blinds call 8 players to the flop. the flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Player UTG bets called by 2 players to me, I think about my best play here as I am thinking the player on button announces raiseand throws in 4 chips, then notices I have cards and pulls the bet back. What is the best play here? My table image is tight at this point having only played a couple hands previous to this one.

I will say I thought I played it well at the time but since have had misgivings about the play. Results to come. Thanks in advance for all replys!!!!
Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese
12-01-2003, 01:10 AM
I just smooth called, player left raised, it is called back to me and I 3 bet. Everyone called. I thought this was the best plan of attack to disguise my hand. I also knew that if the player to my left was buying a free card or had a bare Ace I could get him to throw a better hand away. What I did not take into enough consideration is that the softer players would not throw an Ace away so I did need to hit my card to win. I still am not guaranteed a win obviously at that point.

Even though it did disguise my hand, I did take a big pot down when the /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the turn gave me the best hand. I only got 2 callers on the turn and none on river.

Swiss Cheese

andyfox
12-01-2003, 01:52 AM
"Player to my left . . . does play well post flop. . . I limp in the cutoff after 4 limpers w/J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif button calls"

Seems like a good time to raise to me.

Diplomat
12-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi Cheese,

after 4 players limp, you want to raise pre-flop for several reasons including deception, value, and buying the button.

On the flop, I'd say you've been given a gift. I probably would just call, and likely re-raise when it gets back to me for value.

-Diplomat

Swiss Cheese
12-01-2003, 02:47 AM
Player to my left . . . does play well post flop. . . I limp in the cutoff after 4 limpers w/J 10 button calls"

Seems like a good time to raise to me.

In a game where the best hand has to be shown is this the best play? The same reason I questioned my flop 3 bet?

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese
12-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Diplomat,

In a game as I have described where there is a showdown nearly every hand is this the best way to play? I think getting to the flop(especially) cheaply would be the best course of action. You say the word deception...there is no decieving these players they do not think about what the other players have only what they have(at least 6 of the other players in this hand).

Swiss Cheese

Kevin J
12-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Swiss-

If raising pre-flop could eliminate a competent playing button (and allow you to act last on all rounds), then raising pre-flop is worth considering even though you'll need to show down the best hand.

Kevin