PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun News

Zeno
12-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Big 5 Sporting Goods has a sale on Mossberg 12-gauge shotguns (Made in the USA). So I got one today. A Model 500, 20-inch barrel, 8-shot capacity (7 shot with 3" shells). Only $229, $50 off the regular price of $279 at this discount store. This is the same model that my brother has and I gave the shotgun another good test run out in the desert over the Thanksgiving Holiday when visiting my brother. A water heater, steel propane tank, muffler, some flea fogger cans, a steel barrel, and various other fun items (even targets) were duly dispatched. Results: impressive. To bad there wasn't a washing machine or old refrigerator lying around also; two traditional items always good for fun sport amongst the working class set. But John Cole surely already knows about that.

There was one item included with the gun that I found interesting. A bright yellow cable-style lock was included with my purchase. Written on the plastic package that contains said lock was this little ditty:

“The yellow cable lock bearing part number…..originally shipped in this package complies with the regulations as established by the California Department of Justice and has been certified for sale or distribution as a 'firearm safety device' in the state of California.”

Since when is a Justice Department able or even qualified to certify locks, keys, cable strengths, etc, etc, and etc, as a firearm safety device. This lock is, for the most part, a joke for various reasons. I think half the personnel in the California Justice Department should be guillotined. Perhaps The Terminator will get some of this nonsense repealed, after all, he has made good use of shotguns in various movies. By the way, the lock is made in Taiwan.

I think we need to discuss what is the best “home defense” load for our shotguns. For 3” magnum loads, which are the best Buckshot sizes: 4, 1, 00, or 000. Triple 0 is recommended for Black Bear – and has about 10 pellets per load. Perhaps the 1 size with 24 pellets per load (nominal diameter .24) is better, any comments. Or does it not really matter at all.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
12-01-2003, 01:16 AM
the wave of the future is forcing guns to come with some kind of gun lock.

#6 bird shot is the best imo. at close range it will do the proper job. and it has the pellets where buckshot may not have enough if you can only get a piece of the creep.
go with standard loads as the extra recoil of magnum may preclude the quick second shot. no need for the extra velocity and few extra pellets.
if you have shot at a target from 15 feet you will know what i mean. and know that you have to aim at that distance not like in the movies.
keep a maglight near the gun but dont turn it on when holding it.

Jim Kuhn
12-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Ray,

Can I be on your side?

Zeno
12-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanks Ray, sounds like very practical advice. Yeah, the bigger loads do have that extra kick, and at short distances the extra punch really isn't going to mean much, hitting what you are aiming at and doing it quickly and repeatedly are the important factors.

-Zeno

Jim Kuhn
12-01-2003, 02:03 AM
Why not use 7 1/2 or 8 shot with improved or modified cyl? Shorter barrel the better for working around corners?

HDPM
12-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Arnold won't be a big pro-gun rights guy.

I bought a box or 2 of Federal personal defense loads for the 12 ga. It is along the birdshot idea mentioned, but is bigger and not designed for birds. I don't remember offhand what size shot it is etc.... Magnum rounds are not needed for a defense shotgun as mentioned above. Get some 00, some slugs, and some smaller like the presonal defense rounds. So you are an all-around player. Slugs are probably the least useful, but you should have some around.

One thing to consider is an Uncle Mike's ammo holder for the stock. You need to use it right though. Shells go in bottom down. People put them in with the base sticking up in the air so they won't fall out. But that is wrong. They won't just fall out. This allows you to keep your right (I am assuming rt. handed) hand on the weapon and the weapon on your cheek while you take a shell out and load it with your left hand. You reach under, pluck the shell out and can load it in the magazine or directly in the chamber if you need to. You can move, shoot and reload pretty smoothly this way. Then again if 8 rounds of 12 ga. don't cut it, you have a major problem on your hands anyway. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

P.S. Good buy on the shotgun. I might have to go get one. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

brad
12-01-2003, 04:07 PM
'Shorter barrel the better for working around corners?
'

this is unpc but if youre in a shootout, close quarters combat calls for shooting through walls. (note how this ties in with having large magazines which they are trying to ban)

CORed
12-01-2003, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to discuss what is the best “home defense” load for our shotguns. For 3” magnum loads, which are the best Buckshot sizes: 4, 1, 00, or 000. Triple 0 is recommended for Black Bear – and has about 10 pellets per load. Perhaps the 1 size with 24 pellets per load (nominal diameter .24) is better, any comments. Or does it not really matter at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know enough to give any advice, but I know I don't want to get shot with any of these.

Ray Zee
12-02-2003, 02:55 AM
your right and the creep wont like the sound of the shotgun either and isnt likely to stick around even if you miss.