PDA

View Full Version : Big Blind play question....KJ off

02-02-2002, 12:19 PM
I posted this in the General Theory section by mistake so I'm reposting it here.

I'm learning how to play holdem and I am using "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" as a reference.

Regarding play in the Big Blind on page 44 it suggests: "In fact, a good guideline is to play essentially the same hands that you normally would cold call a raise or reraise with if you were in a late position. But a steal raise is a different matter. Now you are forced to play more hands.........."

On page 43, it states: "When the pot is raised in early position and you are in the big blind, one hand that demands special attention is KJ. The reason for this is that a hand such as KJ (off) can easily make a second-best hand that you will have to pay off all the way. This does not mean that you can never call a legitatmate raise with KJ, but it does mean that the typical player calls much to often with this hand......."

Here is my question: if you follow the guideline in the above paragraph, then KJ(off) should not be played because you would never play the hand if you were in a late position with it and were deciding to cold call a raise or reraise. Correct? KJ (off) is a level 5 hand....level 5 hands should not be played in this situation,correct? Ignoring the levels, the hand does not play well in multiway pots and can be dominated easily by the raiser.

What am I not understanding here?

Thanks

02-02-2002, 03:41 PM
True...BUT...you already have 1 bet invested so you should be playing the KJ

02-02-2002, 06:53 PM
By definition, the big blind has one bet in.....I'm not understanding your answer as it relates to my question....please explain

02-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Well...I'm not sure I fully understand your question. I thought you were asking if you should NOT play KJ off in the BB for a raise because KJ off is not worth 2 bets on the button? Is this not what you were asking?

02-02-2002, 08:00 PM

02-02-2002, 09:27 PM
here's some ideas...

if the EP raiser is a good player, fold. if he's weaker, then maybe call or reraise. KJo is an easily dominated hand, and at times wont make much mony if ya do hit it. not worth the risk ...if yer suited, its alot better obviously, but ya still may fold.

as far as raising in LP, usually this is if your first in, or have a weak limper and are tryinig to get it head up. or just stealin the blinds. it sucks multiway because if ya flop yer K, you may be outkicked. same with a J, though AJ will sometimes raise preflop. the odds of someone holding those goes down with the fewer people seeing the flop.

here's an example...i was in the BB with KJo with an UTG+2 raiser...all folded to me. i know the UTG was a decent player, thought of what he may be raising with, and folded. a guy next to me asked me why. i gave him some of the reasons above. the UTG flipped over 99. now think about that. if i hit my hand a little, hell likely release. not much cash. if we both hit. say J 9 4....who stands to make more cash. what if it comes K J 9...ouch. if i flop trips he can get away from his hand easier, to where if the flop came 9 5 3, i may go to the turn looking for an overcard though im way behiind.

hope this helps a little..

b

02-04-2002, 06:25 AM
I don't understand your point here. You could have written -

"here's an example...i was in the BB with AQo with an UTG+2 raiser...all folded to me. i know the UTG was a decent player, thought of what he may be raising with, and folded. a guy next to me asked me why. i gave him some of the reasons above. the UTG flipped over 99. now think about that. if i hit my hand a little, hell likely release. not much cash. if we both hit. say Q94 ....who stands to make more cash. what if it comes AQ9...ouch. if i flop trips he can get away from his hand easier, to where if the flop came 9 5 3, i may go to the turn looking for an overcard though im way behiind."

02-04-2002, 01:03 PM