PDA

View Full Version : TGC HU Tourney

Spartacus
11-30-2003, 07:18 PM
I am out already. I took on the champ, Stone Age, and although he was leaning on me I thought I had him when I flopped a full house in a raised pot while holding 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Flop came 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The turn brought a queen and all the money went in. Of course, he held QQ!

Thanks for showing up!

Sheriff Fatman
11-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Out in 37th place - did as well as expected lasting about 20 minutes.

Oh well, will just have to qualify for the next one now.

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Dead Money Rivered a flush on me.

JT: A /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
DM: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Turn: X /images/graemlins/heart.gif
River: X /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I'm out.

Damn,
JT

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Joe,

We're sorry to see you go. Was it fun at least?

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah! Change-o-pace tournaments like that are really cool! Great idea!

Thank YOU very much,
Joe Tall

Sleepy Weasel
11-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Never played in a HU tourney before, so I was shocked to make it past the 1st round. Lost in 2nd round to TrickyRicky, all in for a coinflip hand, 88 vs. AQ, he turned a Q.

Good fun, thanks TGC.

HavanaBanana
11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
I won my 1st round against a internetlagridden The_Outlaw.
Checked the leaderboard and saw Joe Tall was out, lost all inspiration and went out against 'nold', actually he played nicely aggressive gg /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Checked the leaderboard and saw Joe Tall was out, lost all inspiration and went out against 'nold', actually he played nicely aggressive gg

[/ QUOTE ]

SOB, I really wanted to see you and I heads up for all the money and the chips!

Next time, Havana!

Peace,
JT

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah! Change-o-pace tournaments like that are really cool! Great idea!

Thank YOU very much,

[/ QUOTE ]

Pleasure - glad you had a good time ... sorry you never got to peel Havana tho /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jasonHoldEm
11-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Out in 12th place.

First hand between Ajizzle and I, we both made two pair and I was on the wrong end. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Time for dinner,
J

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Well played tho ... sorry we jinxed you with the "evenly matched" comment /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nottom
11-30-2003, 08:16 PM
I got myself knocked out on one of the worst calls in the history of poker. To make matters worse there were only like 12 players left when I did it. I'm pretty sure I could have held off untel the top 8 the way I had been playing.

Oh well theres always next time.

Nottom
11-30-2003, 08:19 PM
yeah i was impressed by his play, wasn't afraid to throw his chips in the middle.

jasonHoldEm
11-30-2003, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry we jinxed you with the "evenly matched" comment

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, although next time I would appreciate something more like, "FOLD YOU IDIOT HE'S GOT YOU BEAT!!!"

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sorry we jinxed you with the "evenly matched" comment

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, although next time I would appreciate something more like, "FOLD YOU IDIOT HE'S GOT YOU BEAT!!!"

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehehe /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We'll remember that for next time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

goodguy_1
11-30-2003, 08:36 PM
That's me prunehilda..heh.Very pissed off..but happy to make it in the money and happy to pound on StoneAge.I made some massive moves on you Stone /images/graemlins/smile.gif.Notch one for the little guy /images/graemlins/tongue.gifI love playing these HU LE/NLHE freezeouts.ACR had them about 5-6 months ago and they drew a small crowd about 30-40 players but they got rid of them ...they are great practice and super-fun.Gotta start to play the PokerStars NLHE HU tourney on saturdays.

I dumped $300 to some guy yesterday playing NLHE HU at WSEX ..he went all in twice with 2-1 dogs and got there..this took a total of 18 minutes ..this helps a wee bit!

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Congrats to the winners -- well played, and thanks everybody for playing in such good spirit. Was really great to see aggressive but friendly competition /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ajizzle
11-30-2003, 08:46 PM
I am just awful under pressure.

First hand against Dead_Money.

Pick up 66, I raise, he re-raises, I re-raise again, and we both see the flop for 100,000 each. Flop comes Q84, and I bet big, he raises, and I fold.

should have done something differently, but I'm so mad, I can't believe it right now.

Last hand, he raises small from SB, and I push all in (I had 66,000 v. his 450,000) with K8o, and he flips over TT.

Nice playing Dead_Money, and everyone else in the tourney.

Maybe I'll use my $200 to buy some poker chips.

Ajizzle

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
should have done something differently, but I'm so mad, I can't believe it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't beat yourself up -- you did great the whole way thru against some tough opposition. Well played all round.

Michael J. Sykes
11-30-2003, 08:54 PM
The HU NL tourny format was fun. I do have one simple suggestion: divide the starting chips and blinds by 100 next time (i.e., start with $100 in chips and 1-2 blinds). Those big numbers were confusing at first, especially when they didn't fit in the slider display box. It would also be nice if you could ensure that each HU match was between players who finished the same number of rounds (thus had equal chips), though I'm not sure how much time that would likely add to the tournament.

Good job GC!

-MJS

bunky9590
11-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Congrats to winners and to everyone who played.

Played my guts out but went out in the first round. (went out in 1st round and still finished in 21st!!).

Ajizzle is one heck of a HU player. Had him down but he was never out and came back and beat me with 66 vs. AQ. Well played ajizzle.

Definitely earned my respect.

Sheriff Fatman
11-30-2003, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ - I think that's just the disappointment of losing the final that's bothering you.

Think about it - you just survived the best part of 2 hours of HU play against some brutal opposition. That's pretty awesome going.

As one of those who never made it past game 1 (wp nold BTW) I'd have loved to be as 'awful under pressure' as you!

Well done all those who made the money. I've never been as nervous about any tourney as that one. Can't imagine it got any easier later on.

Sherriff

itsmarty
11-30-2003, 09:02 PM
I placed 9th, which should have frustrating, but I was proud of how I played and proud to have qualified, so no complaints.

I hope everyone else had fun as well. Good luck to everyone in the December OIC!

goodguy_1
11-30-2003, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would also be nice if you could ensure that each HU match was between players who finished the same number of rounds (thus had equal chips),

[/ QUOTE ]

That aint gonna happen.

This is the correct format for HU freezeouts.Same at ACR and PokerStars.If you beat one guy and end up playing some guy that has busted 3 and he has you outchipped 3-1 thats too bad..thats the way HU tourneys work.No rational to forcing equal stacks against each other..thats unfair to the big stacks and susidizes the small stacks..it should be random like it is.

GuyOnTilt
11-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Dude, congrats on the 2nd prize.

About the other night...I got a call from a friend who was having a crisis, and then got mugged in a parking lot of a food mart when I ran in to grab a drink. No phone, no wallet, couldn't call you. Sorry.

GoT

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 09:08 PM
What GC alias = 2+2 alias that won?

Thanks,
JT

CrackerZack
11-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Dead_Money. he put our chips to good use.

bunky9590
11-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Dead Money won, Ajizzle came in 2nd

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The HU NL tourny format was fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks -- glad you enjoyed it.

[ QUOTE ]

I do have one simple suggestion: divide the starting chips and blinds by 100 next time (i.e., start with $100 in chips and 1-2 blinds). Those big numbers were confusing at first, especially when they didn't fit in the slider display box.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea - altho somehow we always felt that bigger numbers would make it more exciting /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Possibly the real problem tho (as we've known for a while when it comes to any NL / PL game) is the bet slider. If that worked better (and in the not-too-distant future it will) then big numbers might work just as well.

[ QUOTE ]

It would also be nice if you could ensure that each HU match was between players who finished the same number of rounds (thus had equal chips), though I'm not sure how much time that would likely add to the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside of the fact that this will take some coding, you're right that it will add time to the event, since at various points along the way relatively large numbers of players will be waiting for other games to finish so that they can be correctly matched under a rule like this.

Altho we know that mismatched chip stacks is a problem, on the other hand it's not such a bad thing --- the format we ended up with rewarded players who played faster, and made the NL element of the game that much more exciting. It also kept total length of the event under 2 hours, which was a pleasant surprise for us, and no doubt for the last few players too --- 2 hrs of HU must be very tiring.

[ QUOTE ]

Good job GC!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Who is Dead Money here on 2+2?

Well, I've been in 2 HU touneys and have lost in the 2nd round to the eventual winner. Strange pattern developing.

Peace,
JT

BigBluffer
11-30-2003, 09:17 PM
OK, I'm gonna blow my cover, but I don't care now. I'm so excited. I've never played serious HU before, not in a ring game, not in a tourney. So how did I win this??? If I knew what I was supposed to do, I probably would've gone out in the first round. :-)

Thank you everyone for the great games. And a very special thank you to TGC for the opportunity.

I need to get some rest before the $3K freeroll but I'm so keyed up now.

Pizza and beer to everyone who played!

BB
Dead_Money on TGC

Gaming Club
11-30-2003, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you everyone for the great games. And a very special thank you to TGC for the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pleasure and well done -- you beat out some tough opposition despite being new to the format.

Michael J. Sykes
11-30-2003, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No rational to forcing equal stacks against each other..thats unfair to the big stacks and susidizes the small stacks..it should be random like it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think matching players who have won the same number of rounds is less fair; there would be no large stacks or small stacks. The "random" format favors players who use an aggressive preflop strategy (resulting in large pots when their opponent engages) over those who like to play for smaller pots (which may involve more skill). However, I was unaware that this "random" format is used elsewhere.

-MJS

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm glad you put my chips to work. Great losing to the eventual champion.

Way to go!
Joe Tall

bunky9590
11-30-2003, 09:23 PM
and you were worried 'sabout letting ME know your handle? that's a hoot!!!

BigBluffer
11-30-2003, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pleasure and well done -- you beat out some tough opposition despite being new to the format.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks TGC Guy.

Maybe this will inspire me to try HU more often. (I can just see the sharks circling now)

BB (Dead_Money)

GrinningBuddha
11-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Congrats Bluffer! I hope you enjoy the chips GC are providing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigBluffer
11-30-2003, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and you were worried 'sabout letting ME know your handle? that's a hoot!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

bunky9590: Different day. Different mood. Different frame of mind. Is it really worth getting your panties all tied up in a knot over?

colgin
11-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Thank you The Gaming Club for a fun tourney. I finished 3rd and had a blast. I hope everyone else had fun as well. All the best.

Colgin

bunky9590
11-30-2003, 09:38 PM
that was funny. No, I was just kidding. Congrats on the win. Well deserved.

pelasuni
12-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Thank you everyone who played and TGC for a great experience! Was knocked out in 25 minutes, but it sure was fun as long as it lasted! Hope there'll be a rematch in december!

serling
12-01-2003, 04:50 AM
Also wanted to chime in a hearty thanks to TGC for hosting this. I was out at 10th and had tremendous fun. It was my first heads-up tourney, and I'd play again in a heartbeat, whether freeroll or not.

It's worth playing in the OIC just to get to this tourney!

--serling

Gaming Club
12-01-2003, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

colgin
Thank you The Gaming Club for a fun tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

pelasuni
Thank you everyone who played and TGC for a great experience!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

serling
Also wanted to chime in a hearty thanks to TGC for hosting this. I was out at 10th and had tremendous fun. It was my first heads-up tourney, and I'd play again in a heartbeat, whether freeroll or not.

It's worth playing in the OIC just to get to this tourney!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pleasure guys -- gratitude much appreciated. Well done colgin, and once again to BB