PDA

View Full Version : too much slowplay?

spekkyboy
11-30-2003, 06:19 PM
I play at 6-12 and 9-18. At both these levels, I have encountered many players who seem to have a love affair with slowplaying. Even more than winning a pot, they get a kick out of having "fooled" other players when they turn over their big hand.
From what I've read and experienced, slowplaying is a tool to be used when you are sure you have the best hand and betting would scare out players who would make second best hand, and as deception on early rounds to get some more big bets on later rounds. However, the way they play, they seem to be losing small bets from a lot of players, and often they get outdrawn by letting opponants get in cheap.
Anyone else noticed this, or am I not slowplaying enough? (I rarely slowplay, unless I'm sure it will be profitable.)

Batman
11-30-2003, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play at 6-12 and 9-18. At both these levels, I have encountered many players who seem to have a love affair with slowplaying. Even more than winning a pot, they get a kick out of having "fooled" other players when they turn over their big hand.
From what I've read and experienced, slowplaying is a tool to be used when you are sure you have the best hand and betting would scare out players who would make second best hand, and as deception on early rounds to get some more big bets on later rounds. However, the way they play, they seem to be losing small bets from a lot of players, and often they get outdrawn by letting opponants get in cheap.
Anyone else noticed this, or am I not slowplaying enough? (I rarely slowplay, unless I'm sure it will be profitable.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Many players have a love affair with slowplaying because it is a psychologically satisfying play.
And most of the time, they're costing themselves money.
I used slowplay alot and now i realized it is not good unless i have at least a full house.
There were times when I slowplayer trips and someone got runner-runner. In addition to the risk of being outdrawn, I think playing your hands faster may actually get more money in the pot, because alot of players call anyway, and they will be more inclined to chase on the turn with a bigger pot.

When there is a pair on board, some players slowplay every single time they have trips, and these hands become very predictable.