PDA

View Full Version : 4-8 QQ in the SB

JoeU
11-30-2003, 04:43 PM
4-8 @ Foxwoods, table is very loose and somewhat passive. I've been thinking about this hand for a few days and I don't think I could have played it differently, but here it goes:

I'm in the SB with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. All fold to the button+2 who calls. My read on him is that he will literally play any 2 cards. He's turned over K3o and 83o to win within the last hour. He also will check/raise the turn if he has top pair or better. All fold to me, I raise. The BB 3-bets. He is a semi-decent player and my read on him is he could have any pair 44-AA, AK, AQ, or AJ. He would do this with these hands. Back to the LP who now caps after limping??? He probably has a big Ace as far as I can tell. I call, BB calls: 3 players to the flop for 12 sb.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

I bet in the dark, both players call. 7.5bb in the pot.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif(K /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif)

Paired board but I actually think my hand is still good. I bet, BB calls, LP raises. I immediately put him on a K, 7, or even a 3 as this is his style. I call (mistake here?), and the BB calls. To the river for 13.5bb.

River: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif(K /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif)

Oh happy day! I decide to break a cardinal rule of mine (rule is thanks to JTG51) and check. It gets checked around. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

What did they have, and how did I do. I'll post the results a little later.

Joe

lil'
11-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Just a quick note, if you feel confident that the turn raiser has a K or 7, there isn't much point in calling looking for a 2 outer. You don't have the odds for it. If you intend to call him down, that is a different story, but calling the turn and folding the river unimproved is no good.

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 07:01 PM
I think you are behind and should fold on the turn. However with the post so big you and the LP being a tricky, loose, weirdo, a call down may be in order if undercards hit the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I decide to break a cardinal rule of mine (rule is thanks to JTG51) and check. It gets checked around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, I don't get the context. Is JTG's rule to bet out or go for the check-raise?

Peace,
JT

JoeU
11-30-2003, 07:01 PM
When I called the turn, I planned on calling the river unless it was an ace. When I bet the turn, I still thought my hand was good, until I got raised, then I wasn't sure. I thought calling the raise might have been a mistake.

Thanks for the response.

Joe

JoeU
11-30-2003, 07:04 PM
The rule is: "Don't check what could be the nuts in the river.". JTG and I have talked about this on many occassions. In these low limit games, most people will call you down with a lesser hand. I had the 3rd nut after the river.

Joe

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Don't check what could be the nuts in the river.".

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. For one second I thought it was the other way and then I'd have to bust on him for it.

Peace,
JT

JTG51
12-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Like Joe said, I tell him not to ever let the river get checked around with the best hand (or at least what you think is the best hand). Despite the results, trying to check raise the river here was clearly the best play. Given the action to that point the river should pretty much never get checked around here.

JoeU
12-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Me: QQ (I'm sure that was tough to guess)

LP: AA

BB: KK for the second nut.

Now I know what it feels like to be drawing dead ..............................................and get there! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Joe