PDA

View Full Version : AKo SH

ThingDo
11-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Playing a 6 max game and its folded to me on the Button, I raise with AKo. SB folds and the only semi-decent player at the table 3-bets. This usually means a big A, or a big pair. However it could be as low as 77.

Flop is AJ3r He bets I Call.

Turn is a 5 completing the rainbow. He checks I bet. He checkraises I 3 bet and he caps. I fold.

ThingDo
11-30-2003, 04:31 PM
buuuump /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mosch
11-30-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm not a 6-max player, but the action reads strangely to me, especially the turn. This is an honest question, not a criticism.

Why three-bet the check-raiser if you're going to fold to a cap? I can't help but think that you'd end up with similar results if you called the raise, and called the river instead.

sam h
11-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Thingdo,

I'm almost always going to cap this before the flop. I want to be able to drive my opponent off low pairs if overcards other than an A or K hit. And I don't want to be wondering whether I'm being pushed off the hand by a worse ace if the board is all rags. Basically, I want to grab the initiative here before the flop and establish who's boss. IMHO, this is more important than disguising the strength of your hand.

Given that you just called the three bet, I like the flop flat call. Let him hang himself if he has an underpair. Sometimes here I'll even flat call the turn if he keeps betting and wait to raise until the river.

On the turn, the bet is automatic and the three-bet should be as well. But I'm not making this fold against most online players. If you have good info on this guy that tells you he'd only cap here with AJ or a set, then go ahead. But a whole lot of players, including many who don't play that badly, will be do this at times with hands you tie or beat.

ThingDo
11-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi Sam

After thinking about it, and talking with guyontilt, and taking your advice of course... I agree that capping was the right play, and I considered it at the time. As for the player, he played pretty agressive, but I he wasn't the type to cap w/ out AJ/AA/JJ. Thanks for the comments. Opponent told me later that he did in fact have AK. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Oh well.