PDA

View Full Version : PLO8: reasoning behind late position micro-raises?

Fraubump
11-30-2003, 02:16 PM
In the game I generally play in--partypoker 25--it is very common for someone in late position or blinds to make the minimum raise preflop when there are a lot of limpers. Are there good reasons to do this? If you are short-stacked with A23 I could see doing it to make quartering less of a disaster. And if you have a good hand it would give you more leverage post-flop to drive out chasers. But it seems fairly dangerous--you are opening yourself up to a large reraise. I'm fairly new to PLO8 and am just wondering about this play.

Thanks, Frau

Tailgunner
11-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Post-flop style is important to get a read on these people, but offhand I can think of several possible reasons:

1. They have a strong hand and good position has given them a read on the table. A small raise is less likely to scare off weaker hands (you want them to stick around to pay you off) while still getting rid of the really bad hands hoping for a miracle, and is easier to get away from if you catch a bad flop.

2. They have a weak hand and want to scare off other hands to improve their chances, but are either A) afraid of a losing a larger bet with poor odds on the flop, or B) afraid of a strong hand coming over the top. Wishy-washy players like this aren't as common, as they usually have a short lifespans.

3. They're loose-aggressive. They want to get more money in the pot on every hand, often reasoning (inaccurately) that since anything can happen that every hand is equal pre-flop, trusting in luck and/or a heavy-hitting betting style to make it profitable. No shortage of these people on PP, short-term gains and a few large pots keep the lucky ones coming back for more.

4. They want a loose-aggressive image. The sly player draws on a resource of knowledge and skill (that the true loose-aggressive player lacks) to take advantage of small edges, and table image to help exploit large ones. They can be difficult to spot, but careful observation of their turn/river play will usually provide valuable information.

5. They're trying to gather more information. I'll do this occasionally to try and flush out the limp-reraisers on strong hands, pin down strategies, etc.

~TG

crockpot
11-30-2003, 10:53 PM
because clicking the min raise button is faster than converting "i am a moron" into GIF format and then selecting it as their image.

the only time i will ever make this play is if there is a maniac in my game who may be inspired to limp-reraise, and i have AA2x or maybe AA3x. even then i would just pot it unless he will only reraise a min-raise.

joeg
12-02-2003, 07:21 AM
I dont play omaha 8 at all, I do play pot limit omaha hi only and I think a min raise is a good move if your opponents make a lot of their mistakes after the flop. Essentialy you have just doubled the size of the pot and doubled the cost of mistakes on the flop, which is where most of the profit comes from at omaha. Of course to do this you want the money to be deep enough to take advantage of the increased size of the pot and the kind of hand that is meant for multiway action as not many players will fold for a min raise, you need good position and above all weak opponents, if your against decent players its just foolish.