PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Wie will play in the Hawaiian Open

JTrout
11-30-2003, 12:36 PM
This young phenom is headed down the wrong path. After a long 2003 season, where she competed in a couple of lesser men's tournaments (Nationwide and Canadian Tour) and finished last in at least one, and played poorly in most of the LPGA events she was in, she'll start the 2004 season off with another confidence crippling tournament.
She should be playing in fewer tournaments that put her in the bottom-half of the field. A few every now and then is one thing, but not a whole season's worth. She should be playing in tournaments that instill in her that she is the best thing since sliced bread, not events that pound her into the ground.
There's nothing like winning. She should be winning, and winning, and winning. She should be developing a mentality that she is unbeatable. Tiger is the perfect model. He dominated the jr. level, then am. level, then tackled the pros. It created a love for winning, and an attitude of invincibility. Michelle could have all that. But she's headed down the wrong path.

My 2 cents,
Speck.

HDPM
11-30-2003, 01:30 PM
I tend to agree, but what bothered me most was seeing what she said about her sponsor's exemption. Her exemption was the result of some political pressure and a marketing ploy. In the past she has gone to monday qualifying for the tourn. which I think is great. But now her consistent failure in men's events is being rewarded with an exemption to a tougher event because the chamber of commerce political types want the hype. And she was happy about it, saying she preferred getting in the easy way. In the past this has not been her attitude. I posted a while back that the best thing Michelle could do to accelerate her golf career is to get out of high school early and get her Stanford scholarship. I agree what she is doing now could backfire.