PDA

View Full Version : Quick Preflop Check #4 : AQo in the BB

GuyOnTilt
11-30-2003, 02:53 AM
Well, I got sucked into TruePoker's offer to refund $12 of the tourney fee for playing 100 raked hands before the 4th, so I sat at their 2/4 tables for a bit today. Tables was very, very loose/passive. I'm in the Big Blind with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif. It's folded around to the CO (loose/aggressive preflop, loose/passive postflop) who open-raises, Button (the only tight-aggressive player at the table, solid player) 3-bets. SB folds.

Since my last preflop poll got an almost exact 3-way split-decision, I still ended up with no clue as to what the best play was. Do better this time; I'm looking for decisiveness. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gomez22
11-30-2003, 03:40 AM
I'm going to vote, GOT, but if button is tight/aggressive as you say, couldn't his raise be an isolation raise? Did you think that might be the case here, and that CO was stealing? Or was the button a player who would only 3-bet with AA, KK, AK, QQ, JJ... etc?

I'm going to vote semi cold-call, and fold on flop if I don't hit hard, but without being there, this is a tough one.

Bob T.
11-30-2003, 04:17 AM
If I remember correctly, you can go a long time at True 2-4 without seeing a preflop 3bet, that doesn't have KK, or AA, I voted for muck. I would guess if AQ is profitable in this situation, it would only be thinly profitable.

GuyOnTilt
11-30-2003, 04:38 PM
I went with the popular vote on this one and mucked. Glad to see we have a censensus this time! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

Joe Tall
11-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Easy muck.

I've only capped once with AQo, and that was an extreme situation. I never cold-call with it.

They will deal again.

Peace,
JT

themul56
12-01-2003, 04:33 AM
I read the posts everyday but do not post that often obviously. I play 2/4 some, but mostly 3/6 and 5/10. In this situation, I would semi-cold call because I am putting the raiser on a steal and the button could be going for an isolation raise.

chesspain
12-01-2003, 09:09 AM
I'ld say muck this. Given the CO's openraise, this makes it more likely that the button has some kind of hand in order to three-bet. You may be up against one if not two pocket pairs.

If the CO is loose-aggressive preflop and loose-passive postflop, then you know if he even has a low pocket pair or caught any part of the flop that he's going to hang on until showdown. That makes your AQ an expensive hand to hold, out of position.

lil'
12-01-2003, 10:02 AM
The Spanish call it "El Mucko."

The small chance the button is trying to isolate with a weaker hand is not worth the risk of being dominated here.

HUSKER'66
12-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey GoT,

Looks like the consensus is to fold preflop. I think that this is the right play in this situation as well. I trying to figure out who the button was..........hmmmmmmmmmm......... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I wanted to mention that it was a blast having another 2+2'er at the table the other night. You are a madman! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Had me cracking up the whole time......AKSHAWN!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your Mom
12-01-2003, 04:52 PM
In a 2/4 Muck it. In a 100/200, cap it.

BaronVonCP
12-01-2003, 06:34 PM
What do you do when the flop comes rags, and it checks to button who bets?
What do you do if it comes AK2 and you bet and its raised and reraised to you?

This hand has potential to cost you a lot of money.

BigEndian
12-01-2003, 07:00 PM
I had a similar hand knock me out of a tourney when the flop came AKJ. By the time the flop came, I was into it for most of my stack. While I could have taken it down against someone with TT raising UTG and a cold-caller in the blind with KQ, it wasn't worth the call due to the trouble I could get in.

The UTG raisor had AK.

- Groove

Joe Tall
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand has potential to cost you a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you fold it here out of position.

Peace,
JT

BaronVonCP
12-01-2003, 07:23 PM
That was my vote, just questioning the play of coldcalling.

But anyways