PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean...

Phat Mack
11-30-2003, 12:32 AM
when poker players continually refer to themselves in the third person? It seems that I play with a lot of people who do this. For example, when it's John's turn to act, John will say, "John has a pretty good hand, John raises," or, "John's been running good, he better call." Is there any insight I can gain into the personality type of a player who habitually does this?

Tyler Durden
11-30-2003, 03:50 AM
Yes, it means the person thinks highly of themselves and their poker skills. This stems from insecurity and social anxiety. Tyler Durden is finished now.

Al_Capone_Junior
11-30-2003, 12:21 PM
... are that this person probably has an ego SO big that they like to hear their own name spoken, so they will satisfy this need even if they need to keep repeating it themselves. Conclude what you will regarding their game from this....

al

Ulysses
11-30-2003, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any insight I can gain into the personality type of a player who habitually does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses doesn't think there's much to be gained from this observation.

sam h
11-30-2003, 06:04 PM
Sam thinks that you won't gain much insight as far as a psychological profile goes, but that some players may do tend to this only at certain times - most likely without a huge hand they want to concentrate on and not when on a pure bluff - and so it might be a reasonable semi-tell in some circumstances.

CrisBrown
11-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Cris hasn't a clue. Cris rarely has Cris a clue. In Cris fact, Cris is Cris probably Cris the Cris most Cris clueless Cris person Cris you Cris could Cris ask....

Whatshername

chesspain
12-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I loved that episode from Seinfeld. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RydenStoompala
12-01-2003, 08:13 AM
They watch Becker too often? They are all professional writers? They all lied to their wives and believe by using third person they are not really in a game?

gavrilo
12-02-2003, 09:09 AM
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy at the table the other day:
Guy: Hey, what time is it?
Me: It's about 5:30
Guy: I better get home before my wife thinks I'm playing cards.
Me: It's 5:30 AM
Guy: Ah [censored]

Carl_William
12-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Phat

I played lots of poker -- very few people talk that way -- very few. I would think that people that do that are jerks or have a dual personality. I once worked with a guy who talked about a stock computer program that detected buy and sell signals -- he talked as if the program was a real person -- it just shows the immaturity in people that think or talk like this....

Carl