PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio 8-16

Aquarius
11-29-2003, 03:16 PM
a couple of hands with some thoughts/questions….

Hand #1: I had just sat down for about 15 minutes, when I get this hand in the BB. Two limpers and the button raises, SB calls, and I look at my cards which are 67o. I am pretty confident that the limpers will at least call the raise, but I have no idea if there will be a reraise. I fold (?). Flop comes 6-6-J. All check to button who bets; everyone folds. I think folding is the correct play, but the pot is laying me 9:1.

Hand #2: I’m in the BB again, everyone folds to the button who raises. SB folds. I have JTo. I think for a moment and reraise. He calls. Flop comes K-9-x with two spades. I check, he checks, turn is a blank check-check again, and river is a spade, check-check. He shows AJ. Admittedly I didn’t develop a great strategy for this hand before I decided to play it, but I believe it’s worth discussing. Here were the issues than ran into by head.

1. Should I fold preflop, since he is unlikely to attempt a steal with two cards lower than a J, or is it conceivable someone steal with T9, or T8?
2. I don’t think I can bet the flop, since he would likely raise with anything to get a free river card, assuming he didn’t have a pair already.
3. I could attempt to semi-bluff the turn with a gutshot and (what I figured to be) six clean outs (JT).
4. Bet the river? Was there a 1/7 chance that he’d fold?

Big Dave D
11-29-2003, 04:30 PM
I think 1. is very lineup dependent...folding will never be too bad tho.

The problem with 2. is exactly what you have identified...you didnt have a plan. 3 betting then not betting the flop or the turn is just insanely bad poker. The only reason to 3 bet preflop is that you WILL bet the flop and try and get the lead on the hand. Most hands miss the flop...which is why aggression and taking the lead in these headsup situations is so important. If you lead the flop and if necessary the turn, then you were very likely to win this pot. FWIW, Im not sure that 3 betting here with JT is good, although calling is obviously correct. The problem with 3 betting is that there are a range of hands which he is likely to be raising with, which whilst poor multiway, are a favourite over your hand headsup, such as Ax.