PDA

View Full Version : Strange, Weak-tight hand at the Borgata

James282
11-29-2003, 01:44 AM
I just got back from playing my best poker ever at the Borgata. I lost about 210 dollars. This is significant, because I played this hand like someone who was down big(i was already down about ten big bets on big beats I am sure everyone here has endured infity times, so I will spare you.) I would speculate that this hand caused me to play my best poker in a long time.

Here the hand I am freaked out by. I am on the waiting list for 10/20 and this hand comes up in a 6/12 game. I get dealt Tens in the big blind, 3 limpers and the small blind completes. One limper is a regular at the Borgata who wears a Pokerstars hat, and whom I have seen playing 6/12 every single time I go to the Borgata. He is the only player that I respect in this hand. I check.

Anyway, the flop comes an uncoordinated Q93. I am reaching for my chips to bet, when a very nice old man, very VERY weak, peaks down at his hole cards right next to me. He happens to be on my left and flashes the Q of clubs. I change my mind, and prepare to check fold to a bet. I don't want to get fancy with a good player in this hand, when I know I have two outs. It gets checked around. The turn card comes a K. Ok now I feel like an idiot. My instinct would be to bet the flop naturally. Now here's a king. I have officially wussed out. I check. It gets checked around for the second damned time. I am betting the river. The river comes a 4. I bet the river, and the tight guy sitting to my left says "I knew someone would get two pair" and sends it to the muck. I get a caller from late position who had 55. I, embarassed, drag it down. I was so uncomfortable while playing this hand. Should I have auto-bet the flop regardless of what the tight guy had? I felt like, this way, he wasn't tied to the pot(in hindsight). But, man, I had to bet the flop there didn't I? It is a strange beast, running badly...if you aren't pure enough a mind you can really fall into an awkward shell.
-James