PDA

View Full Version : Myung!

J_V
11-28-2003, 09:54 PM
I don't know who this kid is, but he played great. I love to see the limit sharks bust these cocky tournament players. Althought the guy that came in second seemed like a pretty good guy. Who could possibly like Matusow?

I like the fact that he was a little cocky without being obnoxious. And he played pretty well, something we haven't seen out of a big tourney winner in a while. I really felt like he made most of his money on some very "limit-like" bluff inductions.

Negreaunu came off like an ass saying he couldn't buy a car with his 67k. I'm glad he lost his 50/50's.

Oh yeah, Hellmuth's "bluff call" that he had been waiting fortwo years for was bull. He just made two pair and wasn't laying down. He can take his "great read" and shove it.

mosch
11-29-2003, 12:33 AM
He won 67k; After taxes, he's right.

It's a nice payday to be sure, but I would've had the same reaction, since it's just not a life-changing amount of money. After all, if you had $35-40k more than you do right now, would it really change anything besides the balance of your retirement account?

J_V
11-29-2003, 01:06 AM
He's not right. You can buy a car for 30K.

That's not the point. People watching work a year for 40K. It makes you look arrogant, unappreciative and dumb.

mosch
11-29-2003, 01:30 AM
Obviously a better answer would've been 'bank some of it, and give some of it to the american cancer society and send the rest to Uncle Sam' but I'm not going to villify somebody become of their response to an incredibly stupid question.

As for your other point... Go Myung!

Duke
11-29-2003, 01:42 AM
I'd sooner drop 5-8k on an old car than buy a new $30k car. A new car that I would actually want to buy would cost much more than that, so I'm ni Daniel's boat there.

Doesn't he still have that Sentra or whatever, anyhow?

~D

Diplomat
11-29-2003, 01:46 AM
Did I miss something? Win what?

-Diplomat

chesspain
11-29-2003, 02:31 AM
The recent Sands NL tourney in AC...it's being shown on FoxSports.

southerndog
11-29-2003, 01:40 PM
A Nissan Sentra is a perfectly good car.

Actually, I can see how some people would be aggravated
at Negreanu's comments, but if you think about it, what he said is somewhat understandable.

He pays 10k to enter a tournament, he makes it to the final table, he'd like to walk away with more than what he got, assuming he is making a living playing in these tourneys.

But, with that said, he can certainly buy a car with the money he won.

Myung was awesome!

Nottom
11-29-2003, 01:52 PM
I have to agree that Daniel N's comments made him seem like an ass, but I suppose he was just trying to be funny in that top poker player sort of way. I think he could have just been honest and just said enter somemore tourneys.

Duke
11-29-2003, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Nissan Sentra is a perfectly good car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me another.

~D

lefty rosen
11-30-2003, 01:19 AM
I remember reading somewhere if a pro golfer made 150,000 on the PGA tour he was only busting even after expenses. Now a pro card player wouldn't have to pay for a caddy. But you have to pay your own entry fees, pay rent on your home/mortgage payments, hotel fees, food, transportation. You get the idea. That's why you when you see a guy winning 20,000 and he doesn't look that happy you understand why.

Diplomat
11-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Definitely, especially if he lost a Corvette (in cash) in a ring game the night before (or whatever).

-Diplomat

Mike Gallo
11-30-2003, 01:30 PM
John Myung play for a living in Atlantic City. He is a staple in the $20-$40 or $15_$30 game at the Taj. He plays very well, and it felt good to see a local player do well.

Make no mistake about it, John plays a very solid game.

TimTimSalabim
11-30-2003, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, Hellmuth's "bluff call" that he had been waiting fortwo years for was bull. He just made two pair and wasn't laying down. He can take his "great read" and shove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it was a great read, and even Howard L. said so. If Hellmuth thought TJ had a hand, he would have raised him on the turn. But he didn't, he smooth-called the turn, inviting TJ to bluff again on the river, which he did (or so TJ thought).

baggins
12-01-2003, 04:42 AM
good to know where he came from.

at any rate, from what we saw, he played a hell of a game.

daryn
12-01-2003, 09:27 AM
wow, 30-40K extra would drastically change my life right now.

Ulysses
12-01-2003, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
John Myung play for a living in Atlantic City. He is a staple in the $20-$40 or $15_$30 game at the Taj. He plays very well, and it felt good to see a local player do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

On one of the online recaps (PokerPages?) and sometime during the broadcast, they said this guy was an accountant. But they also mentioned in the telecast that he was a well known cash-game player.

So, just curious, does/did this guy have a day job, or is he a full-time poker pro?

Nottom
12-01-2003, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, just curious, does/did this guy have a day job, or is he a full-time poker pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he did I would have to think there is a good chance he doesn't anymore. $1 million seems like a good enough $BR to play some cards.

Mike Gallo
12-01-2003, 04:04 PM

I think he plays as a full time pro,however I do not want to act as his publicist /images/graemlins/blush.gif

scrub
12-02-2003, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, 30-40K extra would drastically change my life right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the fact that 40k is worth more to you than to older posters on the forum might have something to do with your age?

Compound interest is a strange and mysterious thing.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob T.
12-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Yeah, and think about what compound interest, and 40k could do for a young guy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif It would change his life.

CrackerZack
12-02-2003, 12:23 PM
This is only semi-true... since you're in college I'm guessing little but bad things would come from this money, but I'm sure it would be fun and I'd be willing to join in whatever expeditions it funded. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
12-02-2003, 04:00 PM
obviously it does. i don't understand your point.