PDA

View Full Version : Should i have folded the river here?

Noodles
11-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Empire Poker. tighter than usual.*8 players
I am SB with A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
COpen limps(he is weak,calling station) button folds,I raise,B Calls (havent seen him do anything tricky yet) MP calls

FLOP 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I bet,both call

TURN 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet ,BB calls,MP folds

River J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I bet,he 2 bets,I am thinking after calling me all the way and then raising he must have a flush or 2 pair.anytime someone raised on this table they had someting good so i folded?
Should i have just made the crying call?

Mike28a
11-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Easy fold, don't sweat it.

Nutz&Boltz
11-28-2003, 05:19 PM
I love aggressive play so don't take this the wrong way, but I think a check on the river would have been a better move. It's a good opportunity to induce a bluff/save a bet. You also avoid having to make this decision on the river.

Noodles
11-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Well as i said i never saw the guy do anything tricky,I dont see why he might try a bluff on the riv if i bet twice and then checked he must obviously think i would call the riv or even if he had a pair or someting why would he try a bet?

Nutz&Boltz
11-28-2003, 06:22 PM
It is a tough decision and a value bet was not a mistake. With the type of TV players I have been encountering, who love to bluff, I have been inducing more. Since I didn't read you had considered all your options on the river, I thought a check deserved consideration.

Brian
11-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Hi Noodles,

Bet and call a raise.

-Brian

MarkD
11-28-2003, 07:58 PM
At the end calling is a no brainer IMO.

You should not have bet the river, especially if you weren't going to call the raise. Essentially that bet, if you won't call a raise, has a negative expectation of:

EV = (1 - probabability of being raised)- (Size of Pot * probability of being raised)

which means that for the bet to be +EV the Probability of being raised (Pr) has to be
Pr <= 1 / (1 + (Size of Pot in # of BB's))

So, in your case the Probability of your opponent has to be less than 12.5% (assuming I counted right and there are 8 big bets in the pot) to even think about betting, and that's assuming that everytime your opponent bets and doesn't raise you he calls instead of folding.

ThingDo
11-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Call the raise.

Brian
11-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi MarkD,

I agree that if he weren't going to call the raise, then he shouldn't have bet. However, this is an easy value bet on the River.

-Brian

brian0729
11-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Dont fold this heads up. Bet the river call the raise. Im guessing he has something like ATo.

Noodles
11-28-2003, 10:49 PM
But why would he call and then raise on the river with ATo?

brian0729
11-28-2003, 11:25 PM
He may think he is beat and try to bluff representing a flush. I am not saying this happens everytime, but if you fold anything other than the nuts on the river for one bet you will be opening yourself up to a lot of bluffs.

Bob T.
11-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Bet and call a raise.

Me too.