PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 PLO: reraising without AA, good or bad?

hazeelnut
11-28-2003, 09:51 AM
One thing that ive started doing lately is reraising with hands such as 89TJ, 7899 and other medium rundown hands(given that the stacks are deep). My thoughts behind this play is:

1. If the original raiser doesnt have AA he will most likely only call and put me on AA, and thus i can steal the pot if the flop comes something like 338. If the flop comes to my liking im more likely to get action from a worse hand like bottom two pair since he put me on AA.

2. If the original raiser does have AA he will most likely make a potsized reraise and this is also good. Now he might have something like a fourth of his chips (i wont reraise if he can get more than a third of his chips in with a reraise) in the pot and it will be very difficult for him to get away from his hand, giving me good implied odds since i can easily get away from mine.

Now to the question, is this a good play(i know its a very high variance play, but ignore that)? The thing is that it hasnt really worked out well for me, but i feel ive been unlucky. Or maybe this is just an awful play, what do i know?

hazeel

Ray Zee
11-28-2003, 01:09 PM
in pl/o if your opponents can put you on a hand closely you are doomed. your aa with a board of 338 would get you broke against a good player, or if you bluffed and didnt have the aa , he would just call and run you off the next card anyway. thats why you need to vary your hands enough. most dont. it may be better for you to hardly ever raise going in, except for a normal opening bet.
often if the player is decent he will have two of your cards tied up also when you get reraised when he has aces. you get to go broke here often as well.
its all about outplaying opponents after the flop. giving away your hand to get extra money in the pot is costly unless you can get it so that the best hand(yours) gets all in.

MrOmaha
11-28-2003, 03:02 PM
It is vital that you either raise with a number of holdings or rarely if ever raise before the flop in Pot Limit Omaha. I would say that the largest determination of whether or not to raise preflop depends upon the nature of the game. Is it a loose/Passive game which most Pot Limit Omaha games are I will greatly limit or eliminate any pre flop raising in the sense that every hand is basically a drawing hand. This directly relates to the fact that a hand with Aces double suited is not a big favorite vs a random holding of four cards. The only way that i will put in a big raise pre-flop is when I have a large holding and can isolate a weaker player. However, this often will not work in a loose passive game as a number of players may also call a large pre flop raise and come along with you. You stack size and ability to handle risk also come into play with any preflop raise as your swings in Omaha are much larger then Hold Em even with a quality holding such as AA suited or double suited. In my opinion the key to PLO is how you play on the flop. I will be more passive and implore a Gap Concept with regard to calling larger raises preflop and attempt to see a number of flops with little preflop action in the sense that a number of other players will be involved and Omaha is a drawing game. I would rather make a decision based upon three cards out on the board and my holding then to have a large number of chips in the pot Heads up and have to guess or call when I am not aware of the other players holding. In Omaha I would rather have the knowledge of over 70% of the hand or the flop before dedicating a large number of chips. I consider this to be the best way to play the game in the sense that you can trap other players and allow them to make mistakes.