PDA

View Full Version : Did I overplay this AQ?

Dov
11-28-2003, 03:49 AM
The whole table is loose passive except for the BB. I haven't played anything under AJs in 2 hours. Most of these players have been here for at least 45 mins. At least 1 was here when I got here.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (9 handed)
Hero has Qd, Ac and is CO

UTG limps, MP3 raises, Hero 3-bets, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP3 caps, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls

Flop(17 SB): 5h, 8s, 2h

SB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, UTG calls, MP3 raises, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls

Turn(21 BB): 5c

SB checks, UTG checks, MP3 bets, Hero folds, SB calls, UTG folds

River(23 BB): 6d

SB checks, MP3 bets, SB calls

Did I badly overplay this hand?

R
E
S
U
L
T
S

MP3 Takes it down with AA

Dov /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Saborion
11-28-2003, 04:34 AM
I usually fold AQ if there`s a raise in front of me, unless it`s suited. Most of the loose passive players only raise with AA, KK, AK and sometimes QQ.

When the MP3 caps you can assume he has something. The flop didn`t hit you at all, yet you bet? Once the MP3 check-raises you, you should fold for sure.

So, fold this hand pre-flop if there`s a raise in front of you.

Since you decided to play it, be ready to toss it away at the flop. You did the opposite, and bet. No good.

So to answer you question; yes, you overplayed it.

And don`t forget that you need a better hand to call a raise than to raise with.

lil'
11-28-2003, 10:05 AM
If you suspect a loose raise, you can 3 bet pre-flop, but there is no shame in mucking A-Qo to a tight player's raise. You don't want to go up against a hand that has yours dominated. When he caps pre-flop, you can assume you are in trouble and need to flop big.

On the flop, you should be aware that he could be trapping you. I would check.

chesspain
11-28-2003, 11:15 AM
It is tricky to play AQ when you miss the flop. I've been getting into trouble when I raise PF (especially in MP or earlier), get called by five or six others, and then bet into a raggedy flop. Usually, I'm just throwing away an SB. However, When I'm up against only one or two PF limpers, then betting into rags after you've raised PF often buys me the pot.

Finally, does anyone think that MP3 played this a bit fishy by not betting out on the flop, and taking a chance it might get checked through. Or was this the right play on a three-handed, raggedy flop against another PF bettor?

Dov
11-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. A little bit more insight into the hand reveals that I may have been tilting slightly.

2 of the callers who called my raise had raised me off of the winning hand and then shown down hands like 'A high' or pocket 3's. Part of my thinking on the flop was that I wanted to charge the bluffers the maximum penalty to continue their bluff raises. It would seem, however, that I was the one bluffing. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again everyone.

Dov /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Dov
11-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. A little bit more insight into the hand reveals that I may have been tilting slightly.

2 of the callers who called my raise had raised me off of the winning hand and then shown down hands like 'A high' or pocket 3's. Part of my thinking on the flop was that I wanted to charge the bluffers the maximum penalty to continue their bluff raises. It would seem, however, that I was the one bluffing. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again everyone.