PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone raise the river here?

Gomez22
11-28-2003, 01:27 AM
Stars .25/.50

Loose/Passive one minute, Tight/Aggressive the next, then Loose/Aggressive.... don't ask me... I still can't figure it out

I'm UTG with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I limp, folded to CO, who limps, button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

FLOP(3 SB): Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, I bet, CO folds, BB calls.

TURN(2.5 BB): 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

RIVER(4.5 BB): J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets...... What's my play and why?

RESULTS LATER

Saborion
11-28-2003, 01:48 AM
I`m not sure what you`re suppose to there.

What I wonder though, is it QJs really a good hand to play UTG? Especially if the game can be aggressive, as you said it could?

Gomez22
11-28-2003, 01:53 AM
This particular game could be anything, and I thought if I just limped, I might get some callers since I had a good multi-way hand...... backfired on me, but that's poker. Unless I'm at the tightest of tables, I'll play any high suited connectors from anyplace..... or maybe at a stake(s) I'm not real comfortable with yet

chesspain
11-28-2003, 02:15 AM
I can't see any possible benefit here to raising. If he is bluffing, which seems unlikely, you win the same one BB by calling than by raising him.

If he is not bluffing, then he likes the Jack, especially after checkcalling the flop and the turn. Since you bet on the flop and turn, he realizes that you've been saying that you likely have at least a Queen, unless he's just hoping that your're betting a smaller PP. If he believes that you have a least a pair of queens, the only logical hand he could have where a Jack gives him what he thinks is now the best hand, but is still the second-best hand, is J5, which seems pretty unlikely. On the offhand chance that he has been chasing with AJ, then he just made a pair of Jacks on the river, although I don't know why he would bet them with the two overcards on the board rather than just checkcall again. I think that the chances of him having AJ or J5 are not great enough to warrent a raise to his river bet.

Consequently, given the strong likelihood that the J just gave him a straight, and that he was too excited to try to go for the checkraise, I think you are beat, but of course you need to make the crying call.

Gomez22
11-28-2003, 02:19 AM
I called the river bet, and he showed.... are you ready for this?????

10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Another in the great series of "WTF Hands"

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I can understand flopping the OESD, but why bet the river here? He has to know that I'm not folding for 1 bet in this case, right?????

Saborion
11-28-2003, 02:27 AM
I`m not so sure he knows that.

Gomez22
11-28-2003, 02:28 AM
Evidently not, but I gave up the science of bluffing at low limits. Unless, of course, I have VERY good reads on the players involved.

chesspain
11-28-2003, 02:31 AM
Maybe he bet because he was so excited that he hadn't completely whiffed on the river /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's funny, when I first began think about this hand, I considered the possibility that he could have JT, but it would have been so illogical for one with this hand to bet on the river that I forgot to include it in my posted answer. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I still think calling was the right response /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gomez22
11-28-2003, 02:33 AM