PDA

View Full Version : 6 man tables

markcinva
11-27-2003, 09:24 PM
This is a general question, but one that frustrates me. At some limits, the only tables available are 6 man tables, especially during the day. Whenever i play these tables, I never do as well as at 10 man tables, often losing money quickly. I play fairly tightly (especially preflop) and aggressively when i think i have the best hand. It doesn't seem to work, as most people sit on overcards and any small pair to the river. A nudge in the right direction would be nice. How do i minimize losses to stubborn hangers on and maximize winning when flopping a set does give you the winner.

Brian
11-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Hi Mark,

Short-handed games are much tougher to beat than ring games for one simple reason: Your average joe who goes too far with his hands in ring and plays way too loose is actually playing pretty close to correct poker in shorthanded. For those of us who aren't yet expert players, losing this big edge (tighter than they are pre-Flop) can turn a winning player into a losing player.

As far as how to play better, the best teacher is experience. However, a few words of advice:

You should rarely be limping pre-Flop, especially in any position but the Button and Cutoff. If a multiway pot is building, it's ok to play small pairs and suited connectors, but when you're first on, raise or fold.

Also, heres a link to a relatively good shorthanded author on pokerpages.com:

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/players/jason-pohl13.htm

-Brian