PDA

View Full Version : manipulating pot odds

01-25-2002, 12:24 AM
the basic idea of this question is when to raise assuming you know you will be called

lets assume im playing in a 5 handed game with loose-passive players (except myself)

to use a specific hand as an example

player 1 posts the blind (only one blind in this game)

2,3,4 calls, im on the button and raise with AKo, the blind folds, everyone else calls

(9 bets in the pot)

the flop is something like 2 7 K rainbow

2,3 check, 4 bets, i raise, 2,3 fold, 4 calls

so now im heads up with player 4 and lets assume hes holding Kx and that he doesnt have 2-pair

the outcome of the hand is irrelevant

my question is this:

should i have raised preflop when i know im against bad players who will call me anyway?

my thinking is this:

on the one hand, i think the preflop raise is bad, because then when i raise on the flop, my opponent gets 11-1 odds which is almost what he needs to chase me so its not a horrible call, whereas had i not raised preflop, he gets 8-1 odds, making his call much worse. (i realize i better player would have folded Kx both preflop and vs a raise after the flop, but were assuming bad players here)

on the other hand, i think the preflop raise is good, because im putting more money in with the probable best hand and even if i give my opponent better pot odds, my post flop raise still has a positive ev, right?

so, which play is correct and what is a good example of properly manipulating pot odds in a limit game?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

01-25-2002, 05:00 AM
do you mean he nearly has the 14 to 1 needed to pair his x?

i'd like to play that hand against him

01-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Raise preflop, if you flop something usually (1 in 3 flops you will have a pair), continue betting unless offcourse you think you are behind. When several player (3+) Take the flop with you and you hold AK and miss the flop (no draw no pair) i would simply check along on the flop and hope to take a free card. With less than 3 players i play the hand very aggressively on the flop and usually take the free card on the turn unless offcourse i know my opponent is solid enough to release a hand if i bet again on the turn (most players wont release a hand here). I understand your question about pot manipulation but i think you should still raise with AK and play it exactly the same way as above.

-MJ

01-25-2002, 10:43 AM
seems simple to me--if you have good reason to think you may win the pot, then you want more $$$ in there.

of course if you hold something like JJ, then you may not want to build a pot which would attract callers??