PDA

View Full Version : Good old AJo, how well did I play this?

Shargaas
11-27-2003, 11:59 AM
0.05/0.10 on Pokerstars. I had been at the table for 2 orbits or so. The play was pretty varibale, with 2 pots being capped, some with only 2 to 3 in on the flop but most the usual 5-6. I get dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP.

UTG limps and it's 3 folds to me. I decided to raise (raises did seem to limit people on the flop), and indeed 2 others fold, the button calls cold, SB folds and BB and UTG call.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, UTG bets, what to do now? I pondered and decided to raise and see what happened (I probably would have called a 3-bet and folded to a bet on the turn unimproved), button folded, BB called 2 cold and UTG called (whew!).

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB and UTG check, I bet out, both call.

River: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB and UTG check again. What would you do in this situation. How did I do on the other streets? I'll post results a bit later.

Guido
11-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Preflop is fine I think
Flop: good
Turn bet: good
River: I would check also and expect to lose.

BB and/ or UTG have Qx or KTo.

chesspain
11-27-2003, 12:26 PM
I would definately check the river, although I have been struggling with my own weak-tight play on the river. However, it is difficult to see what weaker hand will call, as UTG may well have been on a busted draw, whereas BB looks like he could have a Q with a weak kicker.

markcinva
11-27-2003, 09:19 PM
I too am working on my play on the river, but it seems to me you should bet. If you check and UTG does have Q with a small kicker, you lose the pot. If you bet, he almost assuredly will not reraise, and his hand may be below his calling standards. All this should also take into account alot of people will call with ANY pair. Assuming a pot of 15 dollars, this is your only real chance of winning if UTG holds a Q.

Saborion
11-27-2003, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you bet, he almost assuredly will not reraise, and his hand may be below his calling standards. All this should also take into account alot of people will call with ANY pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
As you said, a LOT of people will call with ANY pair. UTG did bet out, and he will call with a Q/crap kicker. Add BB to the equation and I go for a check on the river.

Shargaas
11-28-2003, 12:28 AM
My thoughts on the river were that only a hand that could beat me would call. If either player had a Q, they would call. If either player was on a busted draw they would fold. If either player hit their draw or 2-pair or spiked a set, I'd get check-raised. If either player had a lesser pair, well, that's the grey area. Until I get a lot more experience playing, I think I would rather check this river down.

My real question is how I played the other streets. Middle pair, top kicker isn't the best flop, but with only 4 players in, I thought I could knock out 1, maybe 2 players and freeze the bettor, or get 3-bet and know that I am almost certainly beat. Is this thought process accurate?