PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the fun of PP .5/1...

chesspain
11-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Party .5/1...only my first orbit, but looks to be a typical loose, passive game...

I'm in the SB, and am dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG folds, EP and EMP call, folded to LMP who calls, LP calls, CO poster checks, button calls, I complete, BB checks...eight to the flop

J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif (Sweet!)

I check, BB checks, EP bets, EMP raises, LMP, LP, CO, button all coldcall, I three-bet, BB folds, EP, EMP, LMP all call, LP folds, CO and button call...six to the turn.

[J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, all five call (!)

[J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif] 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, EP folds, EMP raises (!), LMP folds, CO coldcalls, button folds, I three-bet, EMP and CO both call...results below...
EMP showed 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif for TP/weak kicker...yeah, that was worth a river raise /images/graemlins/grin.gif
CO showed 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif for middle pair!

Guido
11-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Why don't you bet out on the flop? I don't say you should, but I would like to know what was your reasoning. Nice hand!

chesspain
11-27-2003, 11:37 AM
I didn't bet out because with all of those PF callers and with the three Broadway cards on the flop, I felt pretty confident that someone was going to bet, allowing me to checkraise. I felt there was a greater chance that everyone might have just called my bet if I had bet out, which would give anyone with a runner-runner (or a gutshot to a chop) the implied odds to chase. Whereas my hand is very good on the flop, it's not invicible, and with my belief that the pot would continue growing after my check, I'm happy enough to get the extra money in now and to try force out some of the longshots.

Hellrazor
11-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Not that I disagree with the check/raise (I fully agree in fact...) But the only reason I do it here is to put more money in the pot.

In almost every .5/1 party game, there is a maybe one other person at the table who worries about implied odds. (If I think there are more I switch tables...)

With people calling down (and raising the river!) with mp/weak kicker and tp/weak kicker- chasing longshot draws out of the hand becomes a futile effort. If someone at this table were holding a T or an A (maybe even a 9) they will call you down for the worst odds. Thats our advantage at this type of table - we know when the odds are not in favor of us chasing and when it worth calling. Their "advantage" is the runner runner suckout that we can't put them on until it hits. Ours pays better in the long run /images/graemlins/wink.gif

me454555
11-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Why not wait till the turn to c/r? It pays better, you have the nuts, and you shouldn't be too worried about suckouts.