PDA

View Full Version : Inexperienced Player Loses Whole Stack Shocker

pemberton
11-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Apologies if this is just a blindingly obvious decision, but I'm All Brand New to this and am posting the hands that cost me money so you can tell me if this is bad luck or something in my game I need to fix:

$25 NL at Party.
Stack sizes vary from $6-$70, I've got $22.
I'm dealt TT in MP.
Raise of 0.75 from EP is called in two spots before it gets to me. I call. (Wrong move?)
It's called in several spots behind me, I think it was 8 way for the flop, maybe 7.
Flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Early position raiser bets for $5, folded to me. I've got three or four players behind me. Neither of my tens is a diamond. EP has me covered, and the stacks behind me are all in the $15-$40 range. What's my move?

I went all-in. I get called in *four* places. Turn is a diamond, river is a blank. Two of the callers hit their flush, and one player who folded claimed he'd have had a lower flush if he'd called. That makes 6 diamonds in their hands, so I'm presuming I was a big favourite and got unlucky? Any value in calling the $5 raise and going all-in on the turn if a diamond doesn't hit, or is this just looking at results not decisions?
That EP raise of 0.75 preflop - should I have avoided this whole mess by reraising my pocket tens to get flush draws out? A lot of players had been folding to even small raises before this hand, so I wasn't expecting all those callers behind me...
Thanks for your thoughts.

nicky g
11-27-2003, 08:28 AM
You played it fine. With 4 callers you have a massive expectation in this pot, and would be justified in getting it all-in even if you knew someone had the straight, as you'd have better than 4-1 odds being only a 2-1 or so shot to improve. As it is you got it all-in with brilliant odds as a big favourite.

As for reraising preflop, that's tricky. You don't know what the miniraise means; probably you're best but you have a bunch of people still to act, and a reraise may build a big pot that you have a hard time getting away from postflop. I think it's close between calling and raising; I'd probably just call. Tens aren't that strong in NL without hitting a flop hard.

pemberton
11-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks for feedback nickyg,
nice to know I didn't come down the river liffey in a bubble /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pemberton

MrOmaha
11-28-2003, 03:14 PM
There is a saying that in Hold em if you do not win or lose a large pot with a Set then you did not play the hand correctly. I would concer with this logic. I feel that you played the hand correctly. I would have went all in on the flop in the sense that you want to try and win the pot right there, and you also have 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river to make a Full House. When you get a number of callers you will hit you hand enough to show a profit I.E. win a large pot in the type of game where you get a number of callers in this spot. Likewise, in a very tight game you will often win the pot with a large bet on the flop. Either way it is very difficult to lay down a set in the Game of Hold Em. However, it is vital to understand that you are motivated to move all in because of the outs and odds to hit your Full House, and when another player does not have the straight in this case you are allowing other players I.E. flush draws to make a mistake by calling this bet and that is what you want in the long term. You played the hand correctly simply did not work out in this instance. If you keep playing in this way and they keep calling to hit thier flushes on the turn and river you will be a long term winner in this type of game.

Ignatius
11-28-2003, 09:22 PM
If in fact 3 flush draws have been out then you managed to get your money in as a 4:1 favorite for a net EV of more than twice your stack. You will have to play a long time before you can expect to get into a similarly profitable situation again. You played the hand perfectly - too bad it didn't work out.