PDA

View Full Version : A long post because my fingers are anxious. (no real hands)

Josh W
11-27-2003, 05:52 AM
The Hustler is an odd place to play poker.

I've been playing mostly there for months now. The games used to be great, and now they are just very good. It's unique in LA, though, because there is a small pool of players who play there. It's roughly the same people everyday.

The 15-30 and larger games can't be too profitable for the house, because there are always 3 props in the games. A few of the props are super solid (2 or 3), a few are super ABC and a few are good enough to beat good games, and slowly go broke in bad games.

I played 15-30 and 25-50 almost exclusively for the past 6 months there. I prefered the 25-50 game, because the games were equally as good as the 15-30 games.

I was quickly able to recognize the good players in the game. And many of the best players (5 or 6 of them/us) wanted to start playing bigger...40-80 and/or 50-100.

I played in these games a number of times. They may sound like bad games, but they only started when JJ or T or some other rich fish wanted to play. We'd just sit and feast on him. I made the mistake a couple of times to play shorthanded with great players, and just spun my wheels. I told myself not to do that anymore.

A few weeks ago, I posted a 60-120 hand that took place when JJ wanted to play. The bigger games were ALWAYS good. Great, even.

Then, about two weeks ago, D rolled into town. He's on his way to vegas, and is really trying to get a local hustler player to put him in the 200-400 at the bellagio (I should say that this player may even be the same player as the 'newbie' in snakeheads 200-400 post...that night, D went to commerce).

Well, D wanted to play bigger...80-160 and the like. The games were shorthanded, centered around D and L. They are both good shorthanded players, but their play suffers dramatcially in full games. So, I started playing 80-160 when they were in the game, as well as 4 or 5 others.

My problem was twofold....two weeks ago, I had never played 80-160 on my own money...I had been staked in that game before. I was nervous before I sat down, but when I sat down, the money didn't matter anymore. It was just poker.

Well, I ran a little bad, and when the games got short (my second problem), I didn't get up. I LOVE shorthanded games up to 40-80, because most players at those limits aren't used to shorthanded play. However, at 80-160, the players, in my experience, are noticeably better at shorthanded play.

So, I didn't leave, and I dropped a few dimes one more than one occassion. That whole 'the money didn't matter' bit....well, it should have.

My bankroll, after a few bad sessions in the 80-160 and a horrid session (-4800 in 3 hours at 40-80 at commerce) at 40-80, and I was back at the "only play up to 25-50" spot of my bankroll. No problem those games were great. At least, I didn't think it was a problem.

See, I played those games, and won a few thousand back in a couple days. But, on MOnday of this week, they broke the 25-50 to make a 50-100 game. Like I said, the Hustler is a unique place to play cards...they break one game to start another.

Two of the fish in the 80-160 game (K and S) were expected to be coming in (one of the props has their phone numbers...an awesome aspect of a small cardroom). Since they were gonna be playing 50-100, I decided to jump in. While waiting for these fish, another fish "K2" sat down with nearly 3K. Great.

until I lose my J9d on Kc Td 7d; 6c; 8c board to 2c3c...three bets on the flop...oh yeah...good games...K2 won 4400 in 20 minutes, and left.

Then, K and S come in, and want to play bigger...so they start a 100-200 game.

The 50 gets short, so I leave, up for the day, feeling a recovery...

I know not to play in that 100-200 game...so, today, after work, I head to Hawaiian Gardens. I play 15-30 and 20-40 while waiting for a few buddies to show up...I win a dime, then go play 4-8 with my buddies...there, I won a few hundred more, and had an awesome time. But, it was time to go to work, around 7:00, so I depart, and head to the hustler. I'll just play some 25-50. I get there, and get a seat in the 25.

The 100-200 is going, but there is no 50-100 or 40-80 or anything. The 100-200 is 5 handed, with 4 great players (one player being great only shorthanded, and very weak in a full game), and one bad player. I look at the game, knowing its not for me.

But I hear that S and K are coming in. These guys are soft, like butter. They love the check/call. They aren't weak like maniacs. I turn my attention back to the 25-50 game, where I'm up a little. I tell a prop in the 25 game (JW) that the big game looks juicy. I say, half in jest, that I should play.

JW responds with "yeah you should...have you ever played that big?" I tell him "no". he says "well, it's time you graduate. You're a great player, have great discipline, never get flustered, and would be the best player in that game...heck, I'd even wanna take a piece of you". I'm flattered, but still earthbound.

Then, S and K show up. They both buy in for two racks. I play 25-50, watching the game. Finally, the urge is too great, and I ask JW "were you serious". He waves me over, and takes a piece of me. The game is now 7 handed, so the good shorthanded player is now a fish. Really. There are 4 bad players in the game, and 2 that I respect. Two of the weak players are a little more aggressive than I'd like, but the two biggest fish (and loosest players) are passive. Since they aren't too wild, I decide the game isn't too big.

Well, I hop in the game, play tightish, and eventually book a nice little win. I give JW his cut, and sit back, reflective.

Screw reflective...I'm proud. I mean, I shouldn't be. The best players in that game were 25-50 players, like me. The rest were fish. It was basically a hopped up 25-50 game.

But I can't help myself. I call my best poker bud, T. T lives in Vegas, and has been out there for a couple years now. He moved out there to be a pro, and has had great success. He's constantly trying to get me to move out there and join him...he doesn't realize how futile his efforts are, tho /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Well, I tell T my story...and like a concerned and/or jealous friend, he says he's worried about the limit. He asked me "where will you stop? When you lose everything?".

I've thought about what he said a lot. And I think it goes back to something L, a prop at Hustler once told me.

L won a ton of money in horses one year (pick 6, I think). He played cards, at like a 20-40 level, then jumped up to the 300-600 level overnight. He lost a ton of money very quickly, but he said he learned so much more about the game then he ever would at mid-limits. Even though he lost money, the lessons he learned there have repaid his debts many many times over. L is truly a great mid limit poker player...the best I've ever heard of.

And, getting back to T, I think that the best advice I've never seen, never heard, and never read is advice I gave somebody once.

If you want to be a truly amazing poker player, I mean, world class by any definition, then do NOT become a pro too early.

Get yourself in a position where you can go bust, and not need to worry about your family, food, home, bills, etc. T is a phenomenal player, and a great tourny player. However, he can't buy his way into tournies, because 1K swings are unwanted. I've bought myself into 3K tournies. I've had more success in tournies than T, just because I've entered more. We both have made a lot of money in tournies.

I will play (but usually don't) much bigger than T, even though I'm not 'much better' (if better at all).

Because I can play bigger, and all of my poker money can go to my bankroll and not to bills, I can raise in limits faster.

Some day, Ben Affleck is gonna stroll back into the Hustler. James Woods is gonna want to play big. These other rich businessmen will wanna gamble it up. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 200-400 game there before next years WSOP.

And knowing that I can be at that table is a damn fine feeling. (If snakehead's in the game, though, I'll probably take an 'out' button).

I'm sincerely sorry that this is a very boastful post. But, damn, I love this game.

Josh

mikelow
11-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I just hope you have the bankroll for this. I don't play with OPM, and I'm not going to try.

Good luck and make sure the player with 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif is in your game. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Duke
11-27-2003, 06:18 PM
As I said before, everyone's gone broke. And you might too. But so what? We all bounce back. F went broke 6 times after running his poker roll up to 80k or more.

Some people play for the money only, and get locked in at a certain level. Some play and play as big as they can because their end goal is to be the best. And the only way to really get to that level is to play the best.

I say go for it, and best of luck. You can go broke playing 25-50 too, it's just a lot less likely.

~D

andyfox
11-28-2003, 02:32 AM
Superb, thoughtful post from a thoughtful person.

The only thing that worries me are the last six words.

"But": I know this referred to the fact that you were apologizing for boasting. However, I think the "but" might also subconsciously modify the "damn," and indicate an awareness on your part that it's not good to "love this game."

"Damn": For emphasis, yes, and for literary reasons. It's perfectly situated at the end of a long, thoughtful, and insightful post. But it also speaks, I think, to the problems you see in loving this game.

I remember an acquaintance, who I still see every now and then at Commerce on those rare occasions when I'm there at night. Years ago we played 15-30 draw together in Gardena. We went to Vegas together a few times, for the day. One time we flew back on the same plane and he told me about the "damn": he was doing drugs and he wanted to gamble bigger and bigger, mostly on sports. This was the late '70s or early '80s and he said he was thinking about betting big dimes on games and he certainly couldn't afford to lose those amounts. He was a great poker player, still is. I suspect that "damn" might still be there for him and I suspect that you might fear that "damn" will be there for you in 25 years too.

"I love this game" Do you? Or do you love the thrill of victory and the thrill of avoiding the agony of defeat?

Hey, this response probably belongs on the psychology forum, sorry about that.

Really great post, Josh.

P.S.: Are you the tallish guy who played the 30-60 at Commerce a few weeks back during the day and was check-raised twice while you were talking on the phone?

Josh W
11-28-2003, 07:12 AM
You apologize at the end of your post, which is silly.

I think that not-so-subconsciously, I am somewhat worried about my 'love' for the game. It's not because of a fear of addiction or fear of gambling or anything like that.

I have a healthy hatred for gambling. When I go to vegas, T likes to shoot craps. He loves to shoot craps. He lights up when shooting craps. It's funny, because he's very tight/aggressive at poker, but can lose $300 in 3 rolls at a $2 crap table. And when I go out there, he always goes with the "since you are here, my wife will let me gamble" excuse when I show up. Fortunately, he has the discipline to not play on a daily basis, and only throws the bones when I'm in town. However, I never ever shoot craps when I get to town unless i get up a set amount at poker (last trip, for example, he was up 1300 in a 15 game, i was up 1700...we agreed to shoot craps until either he lost 300 (for a 1k win) or I lost 200 (for a 1500 win)). As it turns out, we won at craps, too /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

But I really don't enjoy gambling. I don't bet on sports, play blackjack / paigow / tiles, etc. I used to, then a poker player i know told me "don't you know you are just giving away your money?". I don't know why, but it really hit me. Screw dillusions of grandeur. I can't beat that game.

I play nearly every monday night at the Hustler. One semiRegular there, KK, was there a couple weeks ago. After the Monday Night Football game, I go home. I was racking up my chips, in an unbelievably good game, and KK asked how I could possibly leave a game that good so early. I told him I had to get sleep so I'd be rested all week...if I played all night on a monday night, the week would be shot at work. He laughed at the notion of my having a job. I gave him my business card, and he said "why don't you do this for a living?"

I told him what I tell everybody. I play for fun, for the competition, for the comraderie, and for the challenge. He said "there's no such thing...everybody plays for the money".

I said "make no mistake, I want to win. But I'll wake up tomorrow and be in a great mood regardless of the outcome. And I'll be here on Wednesday regardless of the outcome". I play because I really do love the game. KK was amazed. I ran into him in Vegas two weekends ago, and he told me to quit my job...T echoed the sentiment. Then he said "I've never seen anybody love poker so much". In fact, I'm probably one of the few who have played 4-8 and 100-200 in the same day.

So, in long...I'm a very introspective person...I don't think I have much to fear as far as "damn, I love this game" is concerned. I routinely take 2 or 3 months off at a time (as I did in June/July/August of this year).

Lastly...was it me in the 30 at commerce? Hey, you told me to stay at the Hustler, so that I do /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Seriously, though, it may have been...but I doubt it. I don't remember playing 30 at Commerce in weeks. I played the 40 once or twice...and I talk on the phone fairly often when at the table...

I'm not 'tallish', though. I'm 'tall' (6'7")...many people don't realize I'm tall though, until I stand right next to them...weird. If you remember..what seat would have I been in? Were you in the game? In what seat? (A photographic memory means that I'll have to picture where I was, and I'll almost surely remember if there was a person matching your description in the seat you were in).

I played 40 last weekend, and there was a man matching what I remember of your description in the 9 seat. He was a truly horrible player, so I quickly deduced that it wasn't you /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Phew...getting long...but, I'd be remiss if I didn't say...thanks for the kind words, and I hope that your Thanksgiving was ideal, or really close!

Josh

Paluka
11-28-2003, 10:45 AM
Nice post. I just recently started playing higher limits (100-200) as well. I've been lucky and started off on a winning streak, so that is making the adjustment a lot easier. My biggest worry is that no matter how long my beginner's luck lasts, as soon as I hit my first big losing streak I'm going to lose my stomach for the game. Having someone take some of your action is probably a good idea. It lets you get your feet wet with less exposure to the big losses.

nykenny
11-28-2003, 12:55 PM
for those of you who play mid and high stakes, how much bigger is 100-200 than 20-40? is it 5 times? or does it require more bankroll since it's generally more aggressive with better players?

Kenny

andyfox
11-28-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't play on the weekend, so the truly horrible player wasn't me. I leave my horrible play for mid-week.

The day I thought this guy might have been you I was in the 1 seat and "you" were in the 6 or 7 seat; the double check-raiser was in the 3 seat and it was humorous: "you" told the guy on the phone "he's check-raised me again." "You" folded. This would have been mid-day during the week.

To refresh your memory I'm 50, bald, gray beard and ugly. 50% of the time I'll have a sport coat on and I'm chatting it up with the even older guy (Bud) who usually sits in seat one in the 30. I look a lot like John Cole, according to Rick Nebiolo.

I don't have much gamble in me either. I don't bet sport or the horses; I never saw the fun in betting on something I have no control over. But I also go a bit crazy when I go to Vegas. Coincidentally I buy in for $300 at the crap table too and I like to play blackjack, although blackjack gets boring after about 5 minutes. I once lost the $300 at the crap table in about 40 seconds and my wife said to me where'd the chips go and I said gone and she said I don't like that game, don't play it. Probably pretty good advice, no?

I love the game too but maybe my worries about you are really worries about me. Today, my wife and I are going to the movies and then I'm going to ask for permission to go play afterwards. After all, I didn't play yesterday . . .

Hope your Thanksgiving was an enjoyable one too.

Paluka
11-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Does being ugly make it harder to ask the wife for permission to play?

mosch
11-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Poker is like golf for me.

I love golf and have loved it for years, and started getting serious about taking strokes off a few years ago. Now I'm the guy at the driving range who is almost never just hitting a driver. I spend an hour almost every day practicing the things that I had troubles with the last week. I'll take a large bucket of balls and try to hit them all 3 yards, or 5 yards, or to an imaginary target 10 yards out, but above my head. Some people think this must be awful and tedious, but I love practicing unsexy things like low punch irons, and five foot putts. It's not trouble for me, because I can envision what I would've done in previous games if I knew that shot well, back then.

This sort of practice has let me achieve my goal of being able to respectably play most any course, from any tee. I won't shoot par, and I may or may not win the bets, but I play well enough now to get the game. When I'm on a good golf course I revel in the little evils the course designer has prepared for me.

Poker is newer to me, but it's really the only other game that's left me with those same feelings of joy and that same desire to improve my game. I played badly for years, and it was a social thing for me... I think it stayed at that level because I just didn't "get" poker. I never really thought about the game, I paid more attention to the game on tv than the one on the table. Then I started reading about the game and thinking about the game and suddenly I realized how much subtlety there is, how deep this seemingly simple game is, and I became hooked. It wasn't just tossing chips at a pot anymore, it became a subtle balance of many skills.

Sure, the money part of it is nice, but I don't care about the money. I regularly play in games where I know I'm outmatched just because I want to be outmatched. When you play in a tough game you see things that you haven't seen before, both about yourself and others. I see players who have coherent and cohesive strategies for how to deal with each situation that faces them that are far beyond my skillset. It instantly elevates my game, just a little bit more, much like playing 18 holes with a top pro chops strokes off of your own round, because you see that beautiful swing, again and again, and you see the shots they choose, which make you rethink your own approach to the hole.

I hope someday to be able to join you at the 25-50, the 200-400 and the 4-8, possibly all in the same day.
It's great to read about somebody who still clearly has a love for the game that extends beyond how many BB/hr you're clearing, despite a long history of play.

In the meantime, I'll keep playing hands, posting embarassments and working the day job.

andyfox
11-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Easier, actually. You think she'd let Tom Cruise leave the house?

BTW, permission was granted for tomorrow.

Tommy Angelo
11-29-2003, 01:54 AM
What luck that I felt like reading some delightful musings of poker life philosophers and came across this thread. I read two passages of Andy's post outloud to my lady: the part about ugly and the part about permission. Paluka, you killed with this reply:

"Does being ugly make it harder to ask the wife for permission to play?"

::: still LOLing :::

Paluka
11-29-2003, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Easier, actually. You think she'd let Tom Cruise leave the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point.