PDA

View Full Version : Bet these rivers?

chesspain
11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
The following hands all were from a somewhat loose Paradise 1/2 table--40% seeing the flop, occasional PF raising.

Hand 1: I'm in the BB and dealt T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Folded to EP who calls, EMP calls, folded to the button who calls, SB completes, I check...five to the flop. I usually raise with TT, but I decided to call after four other limpers, since no one is going anywhere.

9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet, EP and EMP both call, button raises, SB folds, I call, EP and EMP both call

[9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked around to me...I wasn't sure if the button had a J or was semi-bluffing a draw or a lower pair...I decide to check it through.

[9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif] 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

It's checked to me, and I again check it through, believing that no worse hand is likely to call a bet, whereas a weak J will call and a 9 may be looking to checkraise.

Hand 2: A few hands later I'm dealt 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in LP.

Folded to MP who openlimps, folded to me and I raise, folded to BB who calls, MP calls...

J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet, BB and MP call

[J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me and I bet, both call again

[J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me and I check, as I don't like the looks of that Q, and I again don't see what weaker hand is going to call.

Hand 3: I'm now in the BB, and am dealt Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Folded to EMP who calls, MP calls, folded to SB who completes, I check...

8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet, EMP calls, the other two fold

[8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, he calls...

[8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

And now, assuming I'm ahead, I figured that my opponent may have been on a busted draw or was holding a small pair. Consequently, I didn't bet, thinking that he would only raise or call with a better hand.

Did I play way too tight with these hands?

pudley4
11-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Hand 1 - I don't know how the button can check to you on the turn when you're BB...

Bet the river.

Hand 2 - You only have 2 opponents, neither of whom have bet or raised during the entire hand. The Q is much less worrisome than an A, K, or even T or 9.

Bet the river.

Hand 3 - If you think he'll bet a busted draw, then check. Otherwise bet.

Brian
11-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Hi chesspain,

Hand #1: Raise this pre-Flop. It is the 6th best hand in Hold'em and your opponents have shown no indications that they have the 1st-5th best hands. Fold to the Flop raise. You keep saying checked around to me... As in, 1 person checked. Heh. Check the River.

Hand #2: Well played.

Hand #3: Check the River and hope to snap off a bluff. You won't get called many times by a worse hand if you bet.

-Brian

chesspain
11-27-2003, 02:11 AM
In Hand 1:

I am in the BB...DUH, don't know why I kept saying "Checked around to me" /images/graemlins/blush.gif

EP had Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
EMP had Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
My T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif wins the hand, as the overcards hit nothing.

In hand 2:

BB had 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
MP had 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
My 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif remains the high pair to take the pot!

In hand 3:

My opponent had 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and my flopped pair of queens are good.

GuyOnTilt
11-27-2003, 02:23 AM
You've got to bet the river in Hands 2 and 3! There are plenty of hands that will call you down in both, especially #3. He most likely had a small/medium pocket pair, or an 8. In hand 2, what type of Q hand would be sticking around? Sure, they MIGHT have a Q, but they probably don't! They most likely had made hands such as 7's or 6's and will call down. Bet the river!

Hand 1, I think you played fine, although I would've folded to the flop raise without the T of diamonds, and even with it, you have a very borderline call.

GoT

Henke
11-27-2003, 04:29 AM
What did Button have in hand 1?

chesspain
11-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Button has 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Sorry that the posting for Hand 1 was such a mess. Since I waited close to twenty-four hours to post these hands, I obviously lost the "flavor" of them, which led me to mistake my positioning.