PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing about NL holdem! N00bie hand

Inthacup
11-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Needing a break from the monotony that is limit holdem, I decided to play at a $25 NL table at Party. Go into this hand knowing that I have played very very few NL ring game hands before. Basically, I know nothing about NL ring game strategy.

I post in the CO, fold to a raise and on the next hand get J /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Two guys limps before me, I limp, CO and Button limp, BB checks.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets $.50, I raise to $3, CO and button call my $3 and BB folds.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet $6, CO calls, button folds

River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

I go allin for $15.

How'd I do? I don't visit this forum much, so I don't know how many posts you guys get like this, but I'd really like to hear how you would have played each street differently. I think I could pick up NL pretty quickly, so I think I'm going to start posting here a bit more. Thanks for the input.

Cup

gavrilo
11-26-2003, 09:25 PM
I think you played it fine.
Top two should be good here, but sometimes you have to wonder why people are calling you with no draws out there. People play sets like this and wait for the river to pop you.
If they have a set, so be it.
Even though your river bet is under the size of the pot, if you think your hand is good but you won't be called with a bet of $15, betting something around $6 or $7 is also something to consider. Then again this is Party, so you probably were called and were good.

Acesover8s
11-26-2003, 09:28 PM
You played the hand fine. However, be wary of trouble hands like KJ in no limit, many players would say muck this if not suited. Hands like this are the classic case of win a small pot or lose a big one.

For what its worth, small stack NLHE like there is on Party is just about as monotonous and formulaic as limit holdem.

gavrilo
11-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Yes, I forgot to mention this.. I don't play KJ in this spot.

1800GAMBLER
11-28-2003, 04:22 AM
Played well for the game. I'd always play the hand in that game too.

Inthacup
11-29-2003, 07:03 PM
I went all in for my last $15 and CO thinks and calls. He shows K2 unsuited for the smaller 2 pair and I took it down.

Thanks to those who replied. I appreciate the comments on playing KJun. I figured it was alright to play when the pot hadn't been raised.

Later in the session, a guy raised from $.5 to $1.00 and I folded KQun. Pretty standard? Thanks.

Cup

1800GAMBLER
11-29-2003, 07:13 PM
The amount doesn't really matter compared to which player raised it. A AQ fold here would be pretty standard too.