PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of AQ Hands

tj00
11-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Both Party 2/4

Opponents in both hands are pretty typical. A little on the passive side.

Hand 1

In the SB with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

4 Limpers, I Complete, BB Checks

Flop 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I Bet, BB Calls , 2 More Callers, Button Raises, I 3 Bet, BB Calls 2, 2 Callers Fold, Button Calls

Turn 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bet, Call, Call

River J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bet, Call, Call

Hand 2

In the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

2 Limpers, I Raise, Only the limpers call

Flop K /images/graemlins/club.gif, Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, I Bet, Limper1 Folds, Limper2 Calls

Turn 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check, Bet, Call

River J /images/graemlins/heart.gif - That is one bad river card

Check, I Check Behind

Did I miss a value bet on the river here? If not what if the river was the 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Do you bet now.

lil'
11-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Hand 1 - Flop checkraise?

Hand 2 - I would bet the river.

Justaloser
11-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Hand 1 - Flop checkraise?

lil, would that be to make it tougher for the flush draws (and lesser extent straight draws) to stay in the hand? Or something else?

archmagi
11-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Hand 2:
I normally check here as well. You've been raising all streets and it's the perfect time to try a check-raise against you. There's also the the argument that you'll only be called if you're beaten, but I've seen such plays online that I'm somehwat discounting this idea.
Saying that, I've also been wondering how much value I'm loosing with checking in these situations as well. I've been experimenting betting here lately (about half the time, depending on opposition), and the results are not bad so far.

lil'
11-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Ideally a late position player will bet, allowing you to force several players to face calling two bets cold. This gives them the incorrect odds to draw to gutshots, two pair, trips, etc. You probably have the best hand, but it's not invulnerable.

Flush draws won't leave, but they will pay to draw.

Brian
11-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Hi TJ,

Hand #1: I would raise this pre-Flop. About the only reason I wouldn't raise this pre-Flop would be so that I could check raise the Flop when I hit. However, even then, you don't know where the bet will come from, so the check-raise might not work out that well. But I would still check-raise the Flop if I didn't raise pre-Flop almost every time (and with this Flop, I might attempt a check-raise even if I had raised pre-Flop if I knew one of the later position players to be the type who bets when checked to).

Hand #2: I would have checked the River also, regardless of whether or not the Flush draw hit. If he does have the Flush draw, then whether it hits or not, theres no reason for you to bet the River (he'll raise if he hit, he'll fold if he didn't). I am more worried about his having the King.

tj00
11-27-2003, 02:27 AM
Hand 1

I was curious to see if anyone would say raise this pre-flop. Four limpers is too many for me to raise AQo out of position. Checkraising the flop is probably the superior play.

Button had A3
BB had A6

I came in my usual spot on the river, last. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hand 2

Most said they would bet the river here. I though weak king + flush getting there = check behind. This is LL party though. Limper2 had Q5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and would have paid off on the river.