PDA

View Full Version : Taking on an LAP

Rico Suave
11-26-2003, 04:46 PM
I was at a party 1/2 table when I sat down at a table with a loose aggressive. MP3 is this loose aggressive. He raises pf frequently and often time ends up taking it down on the flop or turn, however, I did see him show some pretty awful cards (32o) that he raised pf with. He had pushed me off at least one hand before I figured out what was going on. Anyway, here is the hand.

Party Poker 1/2 (9 handed)
Hero has T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif and is BB

MP3 raises, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls

Flop(4 SB): T /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls

Turn(3 BB): 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls

River(7 BB): 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets, MP3 calls

Does anyone like my play here. Or am I costing myself money?

--Rico

lil'
11-26-2003, 04:49 PM
I certainly think you should check-raise on this hand. However...

The flop is coordianted enough that it seems more appropriate to go ahead and check raise the flop instead of the turn. There are just too many cards that you don't want to see on the turn.

Stew
11-26-2003, 07:24 PM
You want this head-to-head, even if the agressive player has a hand, your goal is to get this head to head on the flop.

chesspain
11-26-2003, 07:54 PM
I agree with checkraising the flop. By checkcalling, you did not learn anything about LAP's hand. You would have gotten more information by either checkraising or betting out.

Stew
11-26-2003, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You want this head-to-head, even if the agressive player has a hand, your goal is to get this head to head on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now the real question is why would you want it head to head, even if you are beat?

lil'
11-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Stew,

It is head to head already. Not sure what you're getting at here.

chesspain
11-26-2003, 09:19 PM
According to HEFAP, it can be advantageous to get yourself heads-up even if you know you are likely behind, since you increase your overall chances of winning the hand--say, by knocking out others, like overcards or lower pairs, who could outdraw you.

Stew
11-26-2003, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stew,

It is head to head already. Not sure what you're getting at here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that, but it wasn't before the flop betting action and IMO a check-raise has a better possibility of doing that.

lil'
11-26-2003, 11:27 PM
I realize that, but it wasn't before the flop betting action and IMO a check-raise has a better possibility of doing that.

It was heads up before the flop. LAP riased, everyone folded to hero was in the BB and he called. I don't understand what you are saying here. Where are you advocating a check raise?