PDA

View Full Version : No, Ray, you don't get off that easily... nor does Mason

Easy E
11-26-2003, 02:06 PM
I broke this out from the original Rolf’s GQ advice thread- it was getting too crowded there. Anyone unfamiliar with the background, or the quotes that I refer to herein, should see my “PokerBabe copywrite” thread of infamy.

Ray:
You certainly don't need my validation, or anyone else's, of your poker career or skills. However, let's get a few things straightened out:

1) I took a small excerpt of an article that Rolf wrote, posting it here in order to have some fun with PokerBabe about LGPG.

YOU turned it into an attack on what you say was the bad advice of wanna-be poker experts, in what could ONLY be interpreted by Rolf and others (I certainly read it that way and obviously others did as well) as an attack on him as part of that group - it was HIS article! You took a small snippet about a small point that Rolf made, which I was NOT making in posting it on this forum, and made it an issue about the quality of poker writers in general and implied that Rolf fell into that group.

If someone had written something similar about you, how would you have reacted? I already know how Mason would have, since he jumped all over what he inferred as an attack on HIM by Rolf’s “drop down to $30/60” reply to you.

Rolf didn’t have anything to do with any of this, until he was attacked.

2) I was disappointed in you for doing that, and then for trying to back out of it with a "oh, I may not really have meant him " mea culpa. You made a statement than almost anyone would interpret as a direct attack upon them (it’s not a way that people “choose” to interpret it in, it’s the way that it reads - don’t get mealy-mouthed about it afterwards, claiming you didn’t really mean Rolf, except maybe it applies anyway, and why did you “have” to work as a dealer if you’re really a winning poker player blah blah blah…

3) And don’t pseudo-apologize, but then go on to try to justify why you were “right” in attacking him in the first place. If you have a problem with his advice, fine- attack it with evidence. If you question his playing ability, fine- back up your opinion and stand by it. When you start throwing out wild accusations and uninformed disparagements because “most” poker writers are poor players giving poor advice, you just discredit yourself, even if people know you and your abilities.

Not, of course, that it matters what I think, but posting what we think is the rule, isn't it? We should attack others’ statements and theories and expect our own to receive the same treatment. What comes out of that crucible has to be better for going through that process. But let’s not “RGP it”- there’s already a Usenet group that serves the rabid attack dog purpose- let’s do it RIGHT!

P.S.- maybe Rolf deals because he LIKES to deal…. and since his wife’s a dealer, maybe that’s an aspect of it as well. Maybe there’s something else that could be positive- see my Mason section. Next time, why don’t you ASK him about it first, rather than make blanket statements with little or no foundation?

Mason:
Some of the above applies to you as well. Additionally:

A) Just as you hold other poker writers to a higher standard, I hold you and Ray, as poker theorists and hosts of these forums, to a higher standard. You should hold yourselves to that higher standard that you bandy about.

If you question his advice and his ability, then show the integrity to deal specifically with the areas that you have a problem with. If you’re not sure whether Rolf knows what he is writing about or not, then DO THE WORK to find out. If you’re requiring him to post on your forums in order to accurately judge his value, then don’t attack him until he does, or until you do the research involved that will give you the justification for attacking his position. You pride yourself on your accuracy and incisiveness- use it now.

B) And stop taking so many things as a personal attack on you. Do you really need others to constantly validate your skills, knowledge and success? If you KNOW that you are a good limit poker player and KNOW that your advice is correct, then why do you have to react so emotionally to ‘uninformed’ attacks upon your work? If someone is incorrect, then they’re wrong- what difference does it make to you, on a personal level?
It seems in my completely uninformed opinion that you need to show more confidence in yourself and what you stand for. Some idiot nipping at your heels is not going to negatively affect your business, not in THIS environment, nor change the correctness of what you state.
A personal agenda to insure that the best poker advice gets disseminated is fine; a personal crusade to crush any whom dare attack the throne does you a disservice. You do NOT come across as a self-assured, confident poker theorist when you take these stances.

C) Now, back to your statement- Rolf’s comment (and I’m not calling him an idiot here, even if he might be one. Let’s be clear about that- there’s been too many “open to interpretation” statements made in this mess already) may have been a backhanded swipe against you and it may not have - if he was smart, he would have intended to use it in the most efficient manner possible to defend himself.
But it is overly egotistical IMO to assume that a direct response by Rolf, to a direct attack by someone ELSE, is directed at YOU… unless you have reason to believe that something YOU did may have precipitated the attack upon you as well.

D) I’m glad for the work that you have done over the years, with your books AND these forums. I’ve gained a lot by thinking about many things related to poker as a result. I own most of the books that 2+2 has put out.
I’m a big advocate of “attack a position and prove its worth.” But no one, not you or anyone else, is the be-all and end-all of poker. I certainly am an advocate of cockiness- if you can walk the walk, then you’re allowed to talk the talk. But when it seems to cross over into arrogance, when it becomes “I’m right and you’re wrong because I said so” you damage your own reputation and call into question (incorrectly or not) the advice that you give.

E) As to your version of the “why were you dealing instead of playing” justification for your disparagement of Rolf’s abilities- I like to play poker and I like to deal poker. I may prefer to play most of the time, but sometimes dealing without having to worry about the game is a nice break.
In addition, what a potentially great practice tool dealing can be! Think about it- you have no hand of your own to think about, you can just spend ALL of your time observing the other players, honing your reading skills, examining the play of others and learning from their mistakes. That could be HUGELY valuable!

(Rolf, even if you were dealing because you were a broke, incompetent poker player, make sure you jump on this “excuse” and use it exclusively. My gift, no charge, for this whole fiasco that I “started”)

I hope you’re not implying that only full-time, professional players whose only income is from poker are qualified to give valid advice….

F) As to your “pot limit Omaha players suck at limit and stud” stance, which I did just reread in PE III the other day- is this any different than a middle- or high- limit holdem player trying to play her same game at the nofoldem low-limit games? Does her probable failure (or at least her failure to maximize her return in the game) at the low-limit game discredit anything about their high-limit game advice, which could be quite expert?
Do you have to be well rounded and an “expert” in EVERY SINGLE poker game structure in order to give valid advice for one form?

This is YOUR P.S.- One of your replies contained the following statement, which I found absolutely extraneous:

“Furthermore, and this I'm sure of, by participating here more he would get better, and I do believe he wants to be good. This would be especially true if he took part in those forums that address games which people play a lot”

I don’t care if Rolf or anyone else is posting advice on how to play a game that only 3 people in the WORLD play, as long as that advice is reasonably correct at a minimum. First, I may get something out of it, or think of something as a result of said advice, that could help me in my overall game- or at least examine it in a different way, even if it doesn’t directly apply. My stud game helps my holdem game helps my Omaha game helps my stud game….
Second, I would think that players would appreciate advice the MOST in areas and games where the available information amounts to the LEAST. I would think that you would include in your crusade the desire to insure that ALL poker advice, for whatever game, is the best and most accurate that it can be. Just because someone may not be able to use it that often doesn’t mean that said advice has no value.
If Rolf is an expert, or has good advice, in a game that only a few people play, how is that advice less valuable just because it isn’t used that often? It may not gain the reader as much in application, but it can still be valuable advice.
The “it’s a dead game” stance doesn’t fly IMO.

Okay, I’m finished now. Let the fur fly!

mike l.
11-26-2003, 05:04 PM
i didnt read all of your post, but i did read a fair amount of the original thread and i just wanted to say that i think ray and mason were straight forward and correct in everything they said. i dont believe they attacked rolf, and in fact i think they gave him some good advice and made some good points.

the other day i was playing and we started talking about tournaments and then started talking about tournament books and i was saying how id like to get sklansky's book and try a few tournaments. and the guy on my right said yeah his books are good but he hates sklansky's partner that malmooth or whatever his name is. i asked him why and he said because he's always bad mouthing everyone. i told him "gee that's exactly why i like him". that was the end of the conversation.

Ray Zee
11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
you started the post and if you like to take things literally, you called him a thief. i can not read it any other way. it is exactly what you said.

i came back and expalined what i meant. obviously you think i lied about that, and thats okay. your call.

Mason Malmuth
11-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Hi Ed:

I quickly read your post.

It's been my experience that when people tell me that "I'm a pot limit player," they are putting down everyone who plays limit. Of course, it's also my experience that these people not onlt have very little idea of how to play limit poker, but their understanding of general poker principles is lacking. I think that's the point you're missing.

As for Rolf, his advice has been discussed on these forums before. To see some of this, just click on his name in the Pokerbabe thread, then click on "Show all users posts," then click on one of his posts called "A little side note." This will take you to a thread where some of his advice was debated before. You'll see that while I'm not as negative as some towards Rolf's advice, I'm not real positive towards it either.

By the way, one of the aspects about Rolf's writing which I'm critical towards is that he doesn't seem to be as aware of certain things as he should be. For instance, here's a quote from one of his posts in the thread I mention above.

Dear Mr. Sklansky,

While I'm pretty sure that the ratings you have made are correct, there's one thing I don't understand. You list Mr. McEvoy as one of the writers who could not make $100K out of playing limit hold'em games if his life depended on it, and you included Mr. Brunson as someone who could. However, if I'm not mistaken, both these people have not written about limit hold'em that often; for instance Mr. McEvoy usually talks about tournament play, and I have never read any piece by him on limit hold'em live play.

Obviously Rolf was not aware of the book Championship Hold'em by Cloutier and McEvoy. It is subtitled Limit Hold'em Cash Game Strategies (and sub-sub titled Tournament Tactics; Practice Hands). Perhaps you now understand a little better where I'm coming from.

By the way, just in case Rolf is reading this. If he would like to come here and participate in these forums, I'll make sure that he's treated with respect.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the other day i was playing and we started talking about tournaments and then started talking about tournament books and i was saying how id like to get sklansky's book and try a few tournaments. and the guy on my right said yeah his books are good but he hates sklansky's partner that malmooth or whatever his name is. i asked him why and he said because he's always bad mouthing everyone. i told him "gee that's exactly why i like him". that was the end of the conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike:

That reminds me of the time that Lee Jones posted on these forums that when it comes to book reviews I give only a 10 (the best) to our books and give all other books a 1 (the worse). He was not aware that I gave the first edition of his book a 4 and the second edition of his book a 7, and have given many other books not done by us very good ratings. (To his credit Jones did apologize.)

So I guess that this misconception is something that I just have to live with. It is the price I pay for insisting on top notch quality.

Best wishes,
Mason

mike l.
11-26-2003, 10:05 PM
"So I guess that this misconception is something that I just have to live with. It is the price I pay for insisting on top notch quality."

yes it is mason, but just know that you have your fans.

Easy E
11-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Come on Ray, they aren't the same thing and you know it. Besides, as long as we are being ticky-tack, my original post highlighted in blue the quoted line from Dick Davis, indicating that HE and not Rolf was the thief.
I haven't seen a post from Rolf yet, attacking me for an attack on him.
[you raise ME? I'll raise YOU!]

As for calling you a liar, I think you are misinterpreting what I said (in fact, I think you are intentionally doing so in order to make a point)- but that makes it partially my fault for not being clearer. However, if you read many of my posts, I think you'll find that I don't hesitate to call someone a liar if i think that they are a liar.

Now, if you are saying again that you DIDN'T mean to include Rolf in the following statement:
<font color="blue"> yea the new breed of poker instructors now give advice on how to dress at the table. i remember when some people used to explain the correct way to play hands. if you cant beat a 30/60 game you probably arent qualified to write about other than dressing at the poker table. this may offend some but so be it. </font>

..then can you explain to me how anyone could read my post, then read your reply and NOT assume that they were included? If you intended it to only address "other" instructors and not either of the two gentlemen addressed, why didn't you say so?

Will you grant me that most people would reasonably interpret your statement as applying to anyone named in my original post, with the person who wrote the main excerpt being the logical choice? Especially after you wrote your closing line?

Will you agree that the following statements, in later replies within that thread, do not make the strongest statement that you were NOT applying this charge to Rolf?

"but i am glad it created some [controversy] and got a response from him ."[Rolf]

"well sorry rolf, my post wasnt directed really at you as to writers that arent qualified [snip] if you beat the high stakes pot limit games you are probably a winning player in those games and could give pot limit advice."

As I said prior to this, I have no problem with attacking Rolf or anyone else based on merit and certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I don't accept that you can make a statement like your original post and NOT have it interpreted by default as an all-inclusive attack.

Nor do I believe that you clearly do not think Rolf might be included in that attack. You may be correct, you may not, but you made the statement- stick to it.

I've finished with my debate on this subject, as least with you. Hopefully we can move forward and gain some benefit from what has turned out to be a very involved discussion.

Easy E
11-26-2003, 10:40 PM
well, mikelow, you and I (and others) obviously interpreted it differently. The dangers of communication...

I think "holding to a higher standard" and "badmouthing" are not quite the same thing, but I'm not going to quibble about that now.

Easy E
11-26-2003, 10:54 PM
It's been my experience that when people tell me that "I'm a pot limit player," they are putting down everyone who plays limit.
Having followed Rolf's writings for a while now, I've never gotten that impression from him. Moreover, his website lists his history, detailing his start and supposed success at limit poker while rising through the game limits. I of course cannot verify any of that, but I have no reason to doubt it either.

Of course, it's also my experience that these people not [only] have very little idea of how to play limit poker, but their understanding of general poker principles is lacking. I think that's the point you're missing.

No, I didn't miss the point at all. If you are questioning Rolf's ability and advice solely in the limit area, based on the other thread, then you certainly can do so if you find his advice incorrect.
However, the question is whether his pot-limit advice and skills are not of the highest quality; his limit advice and skills are a separate matter.... unless you are saying that no one can be a truly great pot-limit player, or poker player, if they can't play limit.
Can one-dimensional players (I don't know if Rolf is o-d, this is a general question) give solid advice in their area of expertise? Or is it your contention that this isn't possible if they don't display mastery at all forms and limits of poker?

...click on one of his posts called "A little side note." This will take you to a thread where some of his advice was debated before. You'll see that while I'm not as negative as some towards Rolf's advice, I'm not real positive towards it either.
And that's fine- but it wasn't THAT obvious that you were referring to more specific advice that Rolf had given in the past (at least, not until later responses in the PokerBabe thread). It read to me and evidently to others as if your statement fell under your well-documented "pot limit players ain't all THAT!" stance.

As I told Ray, I would like to put this behind us now. I just felt that I had to make my statement about your responses within the PB thread, given that the two of you are the forum "heads" as it were and therefore represent more than just your own opinions here.

Mason Malmuth
11-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Hi Mike:

Thanks. It is very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Mason

George Rice
11-26-2003, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not, of course, that it matters what I think, but posting what we think is the rule, isn't it? We should attack others’ statements and theories and expect our own to receive the same treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good point. But I'd wish we would all do this and not attack the individuals personally. Addressing ideas is fine but when we attack the person who expresses them, bad things happen--that person may stop posting, he may become defensive or he may attack back. And I think most of us read these forums to learn and exchange ideas, not to read insults, or worse, passed back and forth.

I think many of us, including myself, have been guilty of this in some degree from time to time. But the more this happens, the more these forums will deteriorate. I'd hate to see these forums lowered to the level of RGP. It's very rare to see a meaningful thread over there anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
B) And stop taking so many things as a personal attack on you. Do you really need others to constantly validate your skills, knowledge and success? If you KNOW that you are a good limit poker player and KNOW that your advice is correct, then why do you have to react so emotionally to ‘uninformed’ attacks upon your work? If someone is incorrect, then they’re wrong- what difference does it make to you, on a personal level?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't read all of Mason's posts, but I don't remember Mason taking things personally, although he may have at times. I have seen him respond to posts he disagrees with, as I hope he would. And some of these posts may have been critical of him or his opinions, and may have gone back and forth a number of times, but never seemed to me that he was taking it personal.

I have seen a number of posters attack him personally, especially on RGP. And one reason is that he is critical of other writer's work. Well I, for one, am glad that he does and hopes that he continues. I've discovered many good books on poker and other gambling games I wouldn't have if it weren't for his reviews. And I purchased a number of poor quality books in the past I could have avoided if I had known about these reviews. Some authors may dislike getting negative reviews because, among other things, it may cost the author in reduced book sales. Well, too bad. Write a beter book.

[ QUOTE ]
But when it seems to cross over into arrogance, when it becomes “I’m right and you’re wrong because I said so” you damage your own reputation and call into question (incorrectly or not) the advice that you give.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who are usually right and know it always seem arrogant to some people. But arrogance carries with it the quality of being unpleasant. Mason, nor David who is sometimes critized for the same thing, come off as unpleasant in my opinion. They are confident in their opinions, but that's not arrogance.

ACPlayer
11-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Boy that thread got you worked up pretty good.

Not much to get worked up about, IMO.

A little ****-ing contest, no harm.

I'll take Mr M.'s advise on HE and Stud anyday. He has played them more and better than me.

I'll take Mr. S's advise on PLO. He has plaed it more and better than me.

From both, I will ignore whatever i dont like for whatever reason i dont like it.

I would like the Poker-babe to dress me up tho. First I like the suffix in her handle, my kind of suffix. Next, I hear she practices her LGPG motto well.

Ryan_21
11-27-2003, 03:10 AM
"Do you have to be well rounded and an “expert” in EVERY SINGLE poker game structure in order to give valid advice"

Apparently you do in order to be considered a "world class" poker player too.

M.B.E.
11-27-2003, 04:35 AM
I agree with everything in Easy E's post at the top of this thread.

Al_Capone_Junior
11-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Like the ill-fated argue-fest of a thread that started all this wasn't enough, you ressurect it and start the whole BS over again. I guess some people would rather argue about pointless BS than talk about more pleasant things. But I guess any opportunity to throw in a stab at a writer can't be passed up, now can it....

al

spike
11-28-2003, 11:26 AM
One interesting point that came out of the discussion was the following Catch-22 situation :-

If you don't play against and beat the best players in the world then you can't call yourself a good player.

If you *do* play against and beat the best players in the world, then you're not exercising good game selection so you can't call yourself a good player.

Zele
11-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Who claimed that?

Easy E
11-28-2003, 01:21 PM
but you're way off.

Oski
11-28-2003, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like the ill-fated argue-fest of a thread that started all this wasn't enough, you ressurect it and start the whole BS over again. I guess some people would rather argue about pointless BS than talk about more pleasant things. But I guess any opportunity to throw in a stab at a writer can't be passed up, now can it....

al

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this thread is a waste of time and quite childish. The gist of the argument is that a 3rd party is demanding an apology on behalf of one who has purportedly been ill-treated. So what? Presumably, we are grown up enough to deal with these problems without an intermeddler. If Rolf has a real problem with Mason or Ray, goddammit, let him take care of it himself.

It seems to me that Rolf is a complete gentleman, and has chosen to let the whole thing slide; or (believe it or not) perhaps he gleened the appropriate constructive critisism that was intended, and decided to move on. In any event, it is ridiculous to demand a public apology on behalf of one who may not even be aggrieved. Drop it for crissakes!

Easy E
11-28-2003, 02:54 PM
or is that Mom?

Al_Capone_Junior
11-29-2003, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you're way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

in all honesty, I don't think i am, but obviously you do. However, you failed to say WHY, so I find your statement to be fairly meaningless. Of course if you were to elaborate in great detail (as has been the case with this particular topic for days on end) then it'd just be another REHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASHREHASH REHASH REHASH REHASH ETC ETC ETC AD INFINITUM

Al_Capone_Junior
11-29-2003, 09:32 PM

Easy E
11-30-2003, 07:49 PM

Al_Capone_Junior
11-30-2003, 09:30 PM