PDA

View Full Version : What actually is the rule?

01-20-2002, 04:55 AM
In re a post below about a player/dealer violating the "one player to a hand" rule:

This seems in direct violation with the "cards speak" rule in some instances. I remember one low limit O/8 game where an inexperienced player on my right called a bet and then turned her hand toward me and the dealer, sort of facing up 45 degrees, and looking at it in a confused manner. The other player had his two pair face up on the table, which was a loser to her trips. As she had I felt exposed her hand to the table (I could easily see it, as could the dealer on my immediate left and possibly seats one and two as well) I indicated to her that she had the winner. Reading the thread below (involving a fellow named Nick) I'd gather the consensus is that players have no responsibility to see that the pot is awarded correctly.

The one player/hand rule is, I thought, to avoid the unseemly situation of having two brains trying to outwit one, but after the action is dead isn't the real issue, "did the best bet and called handwin?"

01-20-2002, 10:21 AM
I admit I don't know what "The" rule is, but "my" rule is to stay out of any dispute that I don't have a monetary interest in (assuming there are no weapons involved). The essence of poker is that it's an independent pursuit.

01-20-2002, 12:05 PM
forgive the name--just couldn't pass the opportunity--actually I sort of like the name you are using,

now I could easily be wrong about this, but I feel that most folks will agree that "one man" applies before a showdown....and, especially in omaha, any player can freely point out the winning had since they are rather easy to overlook

01-20-2002, 05:00 PM
The issue at in the situation below was that the player didn't know whether or not to turn his cards over or muck. That's different, I think, from the case you describe where the player may have been turning her cards over.

01-21-2002, 10:59 AM
NEVER say anything if player is still HOLDING the cards.....that changes when hand is laid down, face up.

01-21-2002, 08:51 PM
The problem was that the cards were turned so that a overhead camera and several players could see them. In other words, the hand was no longer being "protected" as you would normally during play. But, they weren't released flat on the table.

Now, if the hand is turned up for (some) players to see, is it at that point a case of "cards speak" or do we pretend we don't see the winner?