PDA

View Full Version : Winning percentage for good tournament players

Wynton
11-25-2003, 04:23 PM
I originally posted this same request somewhere else, not realizing this particular forum existed.

Just wondering how often a "good" or "very good" tournament player would be expected to place in the money, or win outright, a 1 or 2 table tournament. Thanks.

DougBrennan
11-25-2003, 05:19 PM
I consider myself a reasonable SnG player, certainly not in the league with some of the other posters here, but I get in the money 45-55% of the time in $5 and $10 SnGs and win 1/3 to 1/2 of those. There are others here who probably cash in the 60-70% range. I'm guessing a few will have hard numbers to post, as compared to my estimates.

Uglyowl
11-25-2003, 10:42 PM
I just started tracking this month and thru 74 SNG's ($10 - one table) I am in the money 43% of the time (15/20/8% for 1st/2nd/3rd). Before a long losing streak I was around 50%. I am sure great players can hit 60-65% in lower limits and good game selection.

CrisBrown
11-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi Wynton,

I play two-table SNGs at PokerStars -- 18 players, top four pay -- and I average 50-70% in the money, depending on the month. Roughly 2/3rds of my money finishes are 1st or 2nd. When I played one-table SNGs at UB -- 10 players, top three pay -- I averaged about 60% in the money at the $22 buy-ins, and about 45% in the money at $55 buy-ins.

The two-table structure at PokerStars fits my game better, so that is why I've been more successful there.

I don't know if this makes me an "average," "good," or "whatever" player. *shrugs*

Cris

Wynton
11-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, you're confirming what I suspected: a good player does better at these tournaments that I do. I've been playing these for a month or two, and basically breaking even.

Does anyone find that their success rate changes much depending on the cost of the buy-in? In other words, are the $20, $30, $50 tournaments much different than the $5 or $10 1-2 table tournies?

Guy McSucker
11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately, you're confirming what I suspected: a good player does better at these tournaments that I do. I've been playing these for a month or two, and basically breaking even.

Good players certainly do better than breaking even!

I am about 55% in the money at Stars two-table sit and gos, and my mode result is 2nd. Something about the way I play gets me to the last two with the smaller stack usually.

I personally found the $5 and $10 events on Stars kind of frustrating, and had much more success when I moved up to the $20 buy-in. Not much idea why. There is more folding going on in the middle stages, I think, which suits my thieving style, but just as many bad calls on the river. $30 plays the same as $20, so I play $30 if I can and $20 if there are no takers for a $30.

I've only dabbled with $50s occasionally, and done pretty well but not played enough to draw any conclusions.

I have also found that playing the same tournaments over and over again has given me a good feel for the different phases of the tournament, which reduces the amount of thought that I need to expend and leaves me free to concentrate on other things, like the players when I am being good, and the TV when I am not.

Guy.