PDA

View Full Version : playing lower, middle pairs

umdpoker
11-25-2003, 03:24 PM
i never do this. however, i do sometimes play overcards on a non-scary flop, as has been suggested on this forum by many others. now, i just thought to myself, if i already made a pair, why not not call in hopes of catching 2 pair or trips? i am getting almost the same number of outs(1 less), and the hands i am drawing to are much better. am i starting to think like a calling station here? or am i on to something? oh yeah, just wanted to add to only use this when you are getting proper odds. duh!

BaronVonCP
11-25-2003, 03:38 PM
You should chase anything if you have the proper odds including gutshots and 2 outers like a pocket pair. Just remember when you have a small pair that you need the pot to be laying you better odds than the odds to make 2 pair or trips because you can make 2 pair and often lose.

Rico Suave
11-25-2003, 04:19 PM
I agree with you here. Chase if you have the correct odds. But also take into account position. If I have bottom pair with an overcard to the board and a backdoor draw in ep, I am less likely to chase if the BB bets into me because there are people still to yet to act and there may be a raise. So I usually fold in that position. Howver, if I had the same hand and the bet came from MP, and I am closing the action on the flop, I will almost always call the flop bet (with correct odds).

--Rico