PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Experiment! (Volunteers needed)

ZeeJustin
11-25-2003, 02:05 PM
I do something weird when I'm bored that has had a positive impact on my game. I deal out cards in a circle, and play a limit hold-em hand for 10 people. Of course, I have to pretend that I only know one players' cards at a time. A large percentage of the time, there is no flop seen.

Here's what I'm going to do. First I'm going to deal out a bunch of hands (the number of hands depends on how many volunteers I get). I'm going to play every hand for myself first. Then I'm going to have the volunteers play the hands (although each volunteer will only have one hand, and will be playing against the other volunteers). I will have each hand played by 3 different groups, and see if they all come up with the same result. I will probably post the results of 1 hand each day in December or something.

One of three things will happen, and I'm not sure which. Scenario 1 (most likely): No one will be willing to volunteer, and I will cry myself to sleep every night for the next week.
Scenario 2: The hands will be played almost identically, and there will be a lot of discussion and comparison to high stakes tables that see too many flops, etc.
Scenario 3: The hands will be played differently, and there will be a lot of discussion on play that will be helpful to everyone's game.

If you are a GOOD TIGHT AGGRESSIVE player, especially one that plays for a living, please PM me. If you are a regular poster, I would appreciate your help immensely. It will take you less than 2 minutes for each hand. Most of them will just be easy folds anyhow.

Even if you're not a pro, you can still help. Somebody has to be dealt 72o UTG, and I don't want to make ANY decisions for the players, so if you want to help, and just want me to give you obvious decisions, let me know. Basically, I just need to attach a name (anonymous or not) to every decision made.

The hands will have to be played over a period of time via Email or PM. Let me know which you prefer. If you prefer email, obviously I need your address. Also, let me know the name you will want me to use to refer to you. I'm assuming some of you would like to be known anonymously, while others want their skills to be shown. Feel free to use a slightly ambigous name if you want to have a little fun.

I posted this in the Internet forum as well. If you want to vote for where I will post the results, please go vote in the poll I made in the IG forum.

-thank you in advance for your help

Clarkmeister
11-25-2003, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't want to see a grown man cry so email me if you need someone. Its in my profile.

Nottom
11-25-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm not a pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'll be happy to help if you need another volunteer.

Edge34
11-25-2003, 03:03 PM
I know I haven't posted as much as a lot of people on here, but this sounds interesting, I'd be happy to help if you want someone else.

esspo
11-25-2003, 03:55 PM
If you need another volunteer, my email is below.

esspo@stanfordalumni.org

Edge34
11-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Forgot to mention this part, I'd go through PM myself...and you can just use my 2+2 name for the results too...the obvious stuff, just wanted to keep it clear

astroglide
11-25-2003, 04:53 PM
10 hands is much too small of a sample.

ZeeJustin
11-25-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm not claiming this will answer every question there is about poker. My main goal is just to create a lot of debate / discussion. I have gotten 18 volunteers already which is great. Hopefully I can get 30 so I can have each hand played 3 times without any overlap. It seems like people are interested in this, so I'll do more than 10 hands. I'm thinking 1 a day for the entire month of december. How does that sound?

eugeneel
11-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Congratulations,

The great eugeneel has decided to join your experiment.

Is everyone willing to be serious about this thing and NOT raise the 2 7 UTG?

Also, I play hands a certain way to change my table image. I may raise 89s in mp if I am the 1st one in since I am usually seen as very tight. I make the play so that next time I raise with a monster hand people won't surely put me on a monster...

So do I need to eliminate this type of play in this experiment since it is very situational?

Ed Miller
11-25-2003, 10:11 PM
You can feel free to PM me a few decisions.

DocHollyday
11-26-2003, 06:43 AM
I'm in, if you need any more players. Just send it to my 2plus2 mail! /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

rigoletto
11-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Fun idea!

I'm in, my email adress is in my profile.

Phat Mack
11-26-2003, 09:07 AM
I'll volunteer, but please give the details of the game: stakes, format, location and any other information you would care to invent. What do you want us to assume about our opponents?

karlson
11-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Since this thread seems to be getting so much interest....

How much interest would there be in a "duplicate poker" tournament? The idea would be that several tables all get dealt the same hands, and then results are compared. This is basically just Justin's experiment, but I would be willing to at some point put in some effort and make it real time, online. But, if we wanted to extend it to a competitive structure, that would be doable too. One could just compare your results against the people in your seat at the other tables, and we could add in rotations/table changes, constantly keeping track of your results against the average of others with your cards.

I know that something like this was tried online for no limit. It was called skillpoker or something to this effect. There were many problems with it (see Lorinda's post in the internet forum) mostly because players busted out and thus positions changed, and everything got messed up. The simple solution seems to be to make it limit, and give everyone an infinite bankroll, so that no one busts out and the blinds are always in the right spot, and so on.

I doubt that this will catch on as a competition for money, partly since it lacks the excitement of gambling and seems to be a good deal more skill-oriented. Those of you that are bridge players will recognize that although there is very little (almost zero) money at the amateur level in duplicate bridge, rubber bridge (which has a luck element) is still played for significant money in private clubs.

However, if there was enough interest, I'd be willing to put in some effort and set it up just for our own fun/curiousity.

nykenny
11-26-2003, 12:26 PM
i would like to participate. PM me for any communications. and you can use my user name: nykenny.

Kenny

girlny
11-26-2003, 02:44 PM
i'm new to the postings but i'd like to help by volunteering-PM me and use 'girlny'

ZoomChild
11-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Sure, I would like to help out. It seems like an intresting idea. Email me!

34TheTruth34
11-27-2003, 12:48 AM
sounds cool. PM me with whatever you want me to do

Acesover8s
11-27-2003, 12:58 AM
I'm up for it if you don't mind the drunken-tilty perspective.

magithighs
11-27-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm not a pro, but hold my own these days. I would be happy to participate.

Cheers
Magithighs

Porcupine
11-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Count me in if you need more volunteers. Via PM would be best for me, and feel free to use my 2+2 name.

Due to being in a poker wasteland, I'm a little rusty, but this sounds interesting.

trillig
11-29-2003, 08:51 AM
Hi, goto skillpoker.com They are basically doing what you describe and claiming it is the only legal online poker in the US.

I wonder what the latest is on the US Govt.'s attempt to crack down on this, apparently this is an old 1960 law that is some to prohibit international/interstate gambling of this sort.
Wondering if true and if it is... why has only 1 person in NY gotten in trouble.
[visit to skillpoker.com will clarify]

Definitely an interesting twist and worth a look, you can try it free there and no I don't work for them. LOL!

-t

magithighs
02-24-2004, 12:57 AM

ZeeJustin
02-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Sort of. I did 2 hands. The first one got a lot of responses. The second one got like 3. People didn't seem interested enough for me to continue.

magithighs
02-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Bummer, I thought it would have been a great experiment.

RiverMel
08-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Me too