PDA

View Full Version : Question on having a backer

01-16-2002, 03:10 AM
I have a friend who is willing to bankroll me in a limit game that would normally be too expensive for me. I was wondering if there is any standard protocol on what percentage I should get if I am to assume no risk, i.e. if i lose, he eats it,if I win, I get a %. I was thinking that me getting 25% would be fair(possibly more than fair?), and he seemed very happy with that. Also, when this is done, do most backers keep a running total on losses and apply vs. wins, or just pay session by session(which I doubt, but would obviously be to my advantage)?

01-16-2002, 01:50 PM
extremely good players may get 50% over a long course of time with all loses made up. backing anyone of lesser ability is foolish.

stupid backers give more or pay up to 50% for one play. this is really only doing a favor as its a must lose situation for the backer.

the way it should work is you play your own money for the part that you can afford and he gives you a tiny freeroll for the extra that he covers, which you deserve as you could just play in a smaller game.

but its a business deal and you should try and get all you can.

01-16-2002, 04:12 PM
be sure to cover the subject of how long. one game? one week? one month?

be sure there is no room for a misunderstanding on ant part of the deal

be honorable at all times

01-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Why ask for a backer? If you only have a limited sum of $$,go play in a smaller game. When you win you get 100% of the money. Sounds simple but when someone asks me to back them, alarm bells ring in my mind. Either they are not really sure of their game in which case I m not about to hand them $$ or they are not as good as they think they are otherwise they wont need $$ support. Isnt there a good reason to build up one's bankroll in small games before moving up in stakes?

01-22-2002, 03:12 AM
I could not disagree more with this post. A few summers ago I was a 3-6 player making very good money playing 80 hours per week. A player in the game suggested that I try the 20-40 game as he thought I could beat the game. I agreed that I thought I could beat the game but didnt want to risk the money. He said he would match my money to put me in the game. I played 4 hours and made as much as I made in 80 hours work at the 3-6 game. Since that day I have consistently played 20-40 and above and have done quite well. If I had never taken the shot -- and I wouldnt have without my "backer" -- I would probably have not made it to that level for at least a year maybe two. As a result, I think there are clear reasons to take a backer. I still take backers now and again depending on how high the game is at the time.

01-23-2002, 02:14 AM
You are a rare exception. Most players seeking backers are either ambitiously playing over their abilities or losers looking for action money. On your post it appears that you did not actively looked for a backer, rather he suggested that he put up half of your capital.

I congratulate you on your success.

01-23-2002, 01:49 PM
I'd like a backer, first and foremost, because there is no risk on my part! That should be obvious. Secondly, I'd like to try my game at higher levels,( I usually play 10-20 half kill) and had been working my way up to those levels until that fateful day when I, as almost all players do, overbet my BR in a blackjack shoe game(I count cards, too) where the true count was almost +5 with almost 4 decks left in the shoe. Wiped out 3/4 of my BR by losing 10 out of 13 hands, tying the other 3. Shit happens. Anyways, I don't have the kinda scratch to play 50-100, but from the guys I saw playing around here, I do have the talent. I'm not really actively looking anyway, this specific instance i mentioned a big game and he offered backing for me. As it stands, I'm a 1.62 BB per hour winner in 10-20 in about 130 hours of play at that level,which I understand is still a small sample,(I have extensive pre-tracked experience), and I'm a tiny bit less(1.47 BB) in Lower limit games in about 200 hours of play there, which I attribute to decreased attention on my part(anything below 8-16 is strictly killing time waiting for a higher game to open up to me), and the fact that my 10-20 games usually have a 1/2 kill, which plays greatly to my tight-aggressive advantage.