PDA

View Full Version : How not to play QQ(on every street)

MrG
11-25-2003, 08:06 AM
.5/1 Party

I am UTG with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I raise, MP calls, Button 3-bets, SB caps, BB calls, I call.
(SB and BB are maniacs, near as I can tell.)

Flop:
3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, BB bets, I raise, MP calls, Button 3-bets, SB calls, BB calls, I cap, everyone calls.

Turn:

6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif[3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
Checked to me, I check(I have no idea why? It seemed I was in a blackout, I wasn't trying to check raise, But I felt like I was behind for some reason) MP checks, Btn checks.

River:
J /images/graemlins/heart.gif[6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif]

SB checks, BB bets, I call, MP folds, Btn calls.

SO, what the hell did everyone else have?

SB A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Button : J /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

My buddy watched me play this hand and said "bad beat" to which I replied, "No, I deserved to lose that hand I played it poorly."
Obviously, the glaring mistake is the turn check, but I think I made a mistake on almost every street. Comments, death threats, and all other criticism welcome. -MrG

chesspain
11-25-2003, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. "No, I deserved to lose that hand I played it poorly."...I think I made a mistake on almost every street. -MrG

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being overly self-critical. You bet PF, and watch it get three-bet and capped after you. Then on a raggedy, uncoordinated flop, you raise, and again see the same thing happen. Unless all four of your opponents are total morons, you have to be thinking that you may well be behind AA, KK or a flopped set.

Yeah, checking it down from the turn might be a little weak, since by this time there are already 20 BB in the pot, so you pretty much have the odds to chase your two-outer even if you are behind. Unfortunately, the pot is so large that everyone else has the odds to chase as well, and probably to more outs than you have.

Assuming no one was going anywhere on the turn regardless of what you did, you would have still lost on the river to any J, A, T, or 6.

In conclusion, while you may have lost theorectical money according to the Fundamental Theory of Poker by not betting the turn, the way you played likely saved you money on this particular hand, since I doubt betting out on the turn would have caused the button to fold.

scotnt73
11-25-2003, 09:49 AM
JJ was not going anywhere no matter what you had bet

lil'
11-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Bet the turn. Other than that you did OK.

You were not going to win the hand, so don't worry about that.

colgin
11-25-2003, 10:12 AM
I take it that Party is much looser (as your post demonstrates), but at Poker Stars I would say that 90% of the time that a multiway pot is capped pre-flop at either $1/2 or $.50/1, someone has pocket Kings or pocket Aces (sometimes "just" AKs). If I were playing that hand there I would have played it the way you did with the exception of not capping the flop when I was reraised (assuming I was behind to Kings or Aces). I would have called there and check-called the turn and river. Based on what I read here about Party I would have played it like you did and not bet the turn either. Yes, it is a raggedy flop but the flop re-raise tells you someone else really likes this flop too and is probably ahead of you. I think at a higher limit, the re-raiser could just be playing AK very aggressively on the flop. If you think that then capping is fine. Otherwise you did fine in a hand you were just going to lose.

HajiShirazu
11-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Yeah, party is nothing like pokerstars.
At party LL, at least 1/8 of players would cap with a medium pair or any ace. Some people will cap with nothing just for the heck of it because they want to play a big pot.

biggambler
11-25-2003, 12:50 PM
If you think that by betting you will gain in the long run, say over the course of 1,000 hands, then you should bet. <font color="red"> To say it was right to not bet because you would have lost money on this hand is bad thinking. </font>

chesspain
11-25-2003, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think that by betting you will gain in the long run, say over the course of 1,000 hands, then you should bet. <font color="red"> To say it was right to not bet because you would have lost money on this hand is bad thinking. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are not attributing those sentiments to me, because that is not what I said in the post above.