PDA

View Full Version : Party NL game selction

nicky g
11-25-2003, 07:38 AM
OK straightforward question:

Without flop percentages, and with about a billion $25 NLHE games running at once, how do people intially decide which table to sit down at on Party? By average pot size? Buddy lists? Any other factors?

WalleyeJason
11-25-2003, 11:23 AM
In my short time playing Party NL games I have found that as long as there are 7 people or more at the table, and not more than 1 large stack at the table, then I will sit.

I do not like seeing 3 or 4 big stacks.

Sometimes the pot size average is a bad guide.

I have sat in some games and one new player sits down and before you know it, he calling big bets with top pair / bad kicker and the like.

I enjoy these games, they look like the Pike Place Market at times.

WJ

Al_Capone_Junior
11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Pot size is what I use. When the average pot size is close to or bigger than the buy-in you know people are way overplaying lots of hands, and you will be able to get a bunch of money in with a strong hand sooner or later.

al

Edge34
11-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Having only recently switched over to the wonderland that is the Party $25 NL game, I personally use pot sizes as a general guide, but not the only factor. I normally will just look for a table that already has 7 or 8 players and test the game out for a bit. For only a $25 buy-in and .25/.50 blinds, its pretty easy to see what you're going up against once you're seated. Beyond that, I just play the game and let the chips fall where they may - in the pot being pushed my direction! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

vector
11-28-2003, 11:36 AM
I use pot size, the bigger the better. It might mean a little more volatility, if you get four callers when you reraise all in, but it pays off quickly.

I also have a buddy list of fish and will chase a mark now and again too, especially if I have a look and see him in tilt mode.

What I find difficult is knowing when to change tables as pot size comes down, or it gets short handed, vs my stack size. Generally I don't want to go anywhere when I have two buy ins or more in front of me ($200), but I hate playing short handed and at some point when the pot size drops below $30 (for $100 games) it just isn't as profitable as moving to the next crazy table.

This is hard though, because real profits come when you get to double up from 200 and above (assuming of course there are other stacks equal or greater than yours, and you believe them to be weak players. Actually you don't have to believe they are weak, as AA plays just as well all in preflop vs a fish as a shark /images/graemlins/grin.gif).