PDA

View Full Version : AQo

chucklhead
11-25-2003, 03:05 AM
Howdy all,
Relatively new player, trying to become more aggressive (have played textbook Jones successfully at super loose tables). I have played less than 10 hands at this table ($0.50/$1.00 Multipoker).

I hold A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the small blind.
UTG calls. 2 middle players and the cutoff call.
Button folds
I raise (Good raise against unknown limpers? Jones would suggest calling, and then going for the check-raise on the flop if I hit.)
The Big Blind and all others call. We see the flop 6 handed with $6 in the pot.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check (I am thinking I am not going to chase out 5 players with a bet.)
It is checked to the last player who bets.
I call (I decide that with the bet coming from the last position I may very well be drawing to 6 outs, and with my showing weakness, anybody with a real hand would have bet rather than check raising so figure it will be calling a single bet only.)
Only the player just before the better folds. We see the turn 5 handed $8.5

Turn: [9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] T /images/graemlins/club.gif

It is checked to the last player who bets.
I call (I am figuring that an A Q or J will make me a winner.)
The Big Blind and one middle position call. We see the river 4 handed, $12.50.

River: [9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to last player who bets. I fold.

Except for the preflop raise, I feel like I played it like a calling station but don't know. Last player had A9o so I only had 3 outs on the flop. Winner was big blind with KTo but don't know what the other person had, so don't know if a J would have given it to me.

Textbook Jones would say just complete from the small blind and fold on the flop.

------------------
2 hands later I hold

A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif in the cut off position.

The three middle position players in front of me call the blind, I raise. The button and small blind fold. The Big blind and all three limpers call.
We see the flop 5 handed $5.25

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

It is checked to me. I bet (I had just showed that I wouldn't bet when the flop didn't hit me. I thought I would see who would fold.)
Two of the middle position players call. We see the flop 3 handed, $8.25 in the pot.

Turn: [K /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif] J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, I check.

River: [K /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

One of the middle position players bets, the rest fold.

Jones says call preflop and fold at the first opportunity post-flop.

Any suggestions on the play of AQo in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chucklehead

chesspain
11-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Hand 1: I think that the PF raise is fine, against only four limpers. However, I would bet out almost every time on a raggedy flop, since many if not all of your opponents will interpret your actions as saying "I have a big pair." Many times I've been able to take down pots like this, even at LL tables. If you can get the entire table to fold at least 20% of the time, you've made money. Also, by betting, you may well get middle or bottom pair to fold.

Of course, if you bet, and everyone calls, then check-folding is probably the proper play on the turn. But I would not be raising PF from the SB with essentially two overcards against four limpers if you are going to be afraid to play unless you hit something on the flop.

Finally, you interpreted the late position flop bet as a sign of strength from your opponent, whereas the opposite might be true. A checkraise could be in order here, on the chance that he was betting with very little. A checkraise could certainly knock out everyone else for the price of two bets, and possibly freeze the bettor in case you miss the the turn and check, which could get you to the river without having to put in a turn bet.

Hand 2: I think you played it fine.

stantheman
11-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Hand 1: I think you need to check raise the flop here. Worst case scenario (outside of the made straight, which you would see pretty quickly), you play the CO's top or middle pair headsup with 6 outs. Best case scenario, the CO was firing a bet out there on a junk flop in the hopes of winning the pot right there, and has nothing (or a draw). Now you're playing him headsup with a dominant hand.

Hand #2 I like. Maybe I fire a bet out there on the turn to see if I can take it down, and fold to a raise. But then again, maybe not. Depends on how weak your opponents are. Well played.