PDA

View Full Version : Misplayed on the 1st 3 Streets? : QJs from the BB

GuyOnTilt
11-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Playing 15/30 on Empire. We're 10-handed, table is loose/passive on all streets in general. I'm in the BB with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+1 limps (weak-tight postflop), MP limps (loose and passive on all streets), LMP limps (tricky, tight-aggressive player), Button limps (new player, no read), SB completes (new player, no read). I raise, all call. 6 to the flop for 12 SB's.

Flop comes: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, I bet. UTG+1 calls, MP calls, LMP raises. Button cold-calls, SB folds, I call intending to bet the turn, UTG+1 and MP call. 5 to the turn for 11 BB's.

Turn comes: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif[J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

I bet out, UTG+1 folds, MP folds, LMP calls, Button calls. 3 to the river for 14 BB's.

River comes: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif[8 /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

I bet, LMP folds, Button calls.

Questions:

1) Preflop raise? Yea or nay?
2) Flop/turn combo? Yea or nay?
3) Fold to a turn raise from LMP? Yea or nay?

Results to follow.

GoT

elysium
11-25-2003, 01:58 AM
hi tilt
it looks like a check-call on the turn.

SinCityGuy
11-25-2003, 02:08 AM
1) The raise pre-flop is OK because of your implied odds with QJs.
2) After LMP merely calls the turn after he raised the flop, he is most likely on a diamond flush draw.
3) Probably so.

astroglide
11-25-2003, 02:13 AM
raise preflop is optional, not a mistake as long as it's not done a ton. people could take a cue from this and realize that raising qjs after 5 limps in the bb is a much more cost-effective image play than raising 67s up front. furthermore, it provides cover for future raises out of the blinds.

perfect on every street, i'd say.

DrSavage
11-25-2003, 02:40 PM
I like to check/call the river here. There's a solid chance missed draw will try to take it down. Also I'd hate to call a river raise.

nykenny
11-25-2003, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Preflop raise? Yea or nay?
2) Flop/turn combo? Yea or nay?
3) Fold to a turn raise from LMP? Yea or nay?

[/ QUOTE ]
1) yea
2) some times u can check raise on flop depending the people
3) nay against someone too tricky
4) checking river is not a crime here.

kenny

Schneids
11-26-2003, 11:23 AM
I like a check/call on the river, otherwise, I agree with how you played the hand.

I don't think your bet is going to win you an extra BB often enough to justify making it, and more often than not if you're called your beat, and you're never folding a better hand with this bet. Plus, if you get raised, can you call it? Likewise, as someone mentioned, your check may induce him to bet his missed draw, if that's indeed what he had. It seems the best +EV play would be to check/call the river.

Otherwise, well-played. I especially like the turn bet, however, I have to ask you: If he raised again on the turn, you're folding, right? Or reluctantly calling?

Vehn
11-26-2003, 12:21 PM
There are times when you should stop and go on the turn like you did here rather than 3-betting the flop. This is not one of them. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you really comfortable folding to a turn raise here after you stop and go? Doing it this way is begging to be popped again on the turn by Jx, a lot of which you beat, as you are representing something like TT or 99. 3-bet the flop, get rid of some of the stragglers, and keep betting minus flush card.

Diplomat
11-26-2003, 01:23 PM
I agree with Vehn here. A lot of decent players will raise you again with a range of hands, including stuff like a pair and flushdraw.

-Diplomat