PDA

View Full Version : Hand I'm not proud of

MaxPower
11-25-2003, 12:56 AM
The BB is a decent player. The other two are loose/passive. What's the best plan of action here?

Party Poker 5/10 (10 handed)
MaxPower has 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

MP1 limps, MP3 limps, Button folds, MaxPower limps, BB raises, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, MaxPower calls

Flop(8 SB): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MaxPower checks, BB bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, MaxPower calls

Turn(6 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MaxPower checks, BB bets, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, MaxPower calls

River(9 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MaxPower checks, BB checks, MP3 bets, MaxPower calls, BB folds

CrackerZack
11-25-2003, 01:53 AM
you wouldn't care about not being proud if you hadn't won. I'd consider betting out on the flop but I'm not sure. This is usually the type of hand that wins a small pot or loses a big one. You managed to win a decent one by playing uber-passive. I actually think I like your play although a river raise may be in order if you think the loose player on the end would bet weak hands. you said passive though so probably not the best plan.

me454555
11-25-2003, 02:27 AM
A turn Checkraise might be nice. You can probobly trap both players for an extra bet

jonahmavesin
11-25-2003, 02:43 AM
In my mind, I refer to this as the "roll over and play dead" strategy when you hit top-pair-bad-kicker in EP vs. opponent. Clearly this guy is going to continuing betting out every time you check to him; clearly you are going to call him all the way down. It's like a 5 SB bet that he doesn't have a better kicker, since for all you know he has the A. I don't know on what basis you can suddenly decide you're in the lead, and should bet for value or C/R on the turn... If you're going to be creative, C/R on the flop to see if you can steal, and to gain information from him. Or bet out, and see if he raises, again to gain info. I hate the check-call from flop-to-river move.

Playing dead gets you nowhere, and it's ludicrous to break out and start raising later when you've gained no additional information yet the bets are double.

Then again, I'm a newbie. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ZeeJustin
11-25-2003, 02:53 AM
IMO this is a very tough situation to be in. Here is how I would play it:

Check raise the flop, if he 3 bets, either fold, or call and check fold the turn (assuming you don't improve). If he calls your check raise, bet the turn, and fold to a raise. My river play would vary depending on what the other 2 players have done, although most likely I would check call the river.

ThingDo
11-25-2003, 03:53 AM
I would just bet out on this flop. If the BB raises I would more than likely check fold on the turn.

Inwar
11-25-2003, 04:17 AM
In general, I agree with earlier responses calling for a check-raise on the flop. However, part of my goal with a check-raise is to reduce the number of opponents. In this instance, when I act after observing all other players in for a single bet, I'd call like MaxPower did. Folks at the 2/4 tables (my usual limit) simply aren't going to fold to a check-raise after committing an initial bet. If the 5/10 game is tighter, and you feel at least one caller will fold, check-raising seems most appealing to me.

ThingDo
11-25-2003, 04:19 AM
The best way to limit the field in this hand is to bet into the BB IMO. Checkraising only traps the rest of the field for extra bets which you certainly don't want.

Qui-Gon
11-25-2003, 05:17 AM
In this situation I would bet out on the flop to see where I stand. If raised I would call and check-fold the turn unless I improve (a 9). If there's no raise against me on the flop I would bet out again on the turn and probably fold to a raise.

Do you consider these moves good/bad, and why?

MaxPower
11-25-2003, 12:41 PM
I actually lost this pot. MP3 had QJ and made two pair on the river. There was absolutely nothing I could have done to win this pot, but that is besides the point.

If the pot were heads-up, my checking and calling strategy is decent, but when there are two calling stations in the hand I don't like it. Perhaps ThingDo is correct and I should bet the flop.

AviD
11-25-2003, 12:49 PM
I'd say even if you bet the flop, you would'nt necessarily push the loose MP3 out. Perhaps a check-raise on the flop and a bet on the turn would have pushed both MP1, MP3, and BB out...but its difficult to say what MP3 has...and you are probably more concerned with BB at this point. But that aggressive play is the only thing I can see that may have won you that pot.

Joe Tall
11-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Why didn't you bet out on the flop here to see where you were at? Playing like a passive-call station is a sign of weak-tighyness.

I'd bet this flop 100% of the time regarless of the BB raise.

Peace,
JT

MaxPower
11-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks for dragging this thread back from the dead, Joe. I feel shame.

You are correct though - good advice.

Joe Tall
11-26-2003, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for dragging this thread back from the dead, Joe. I feel shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm totally f-n off at work today, I just don't give a $hit. So I went back to see what I missed and found this gem.

At least you stick to the "No Shame Posting" motto. Don't feel bad we all do it. Not all of us can be Ulysses and win every hand.

Peace,
JT