PDA

View Full Version : Poker is a social activity

thomastem
11-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Whether online or in person Poker is first and foremost a social activity. If it weren't fun and if people couldn't sometimes break the odds with miracle wins on the river people wouldn't play. Because there is fun and because the underdog sometimes wins we have a game, that with skill, we can make money consistantlty over the long run.

There are 2 very important points above.

1. If bad players can't bad beat you they won't play at all and you don't make a consistant profit. BAD BEATS MAKE PROFIT POSSIBLE.

2. If people don't enjoy playing they won't play.

These 2 reasons are why when I do get bad beat I go out of my way to make the thrill of getting lucky bigger. Comments like "Wow nice catch" , "What a ballsy play", and "Isn't it awesome when the cards fall?" are a staple when I get bad beat. People want to enjoy the thrill of victory and I don't mind wetting their appetite for gambling those long shots. If for some reason it's a "solid player" that beat me this makes for a great way to say "When I come I got it, keep chasing."

Jumping on people for bad beating you is almost as dumb as intimidating posters to only post hand histories.

Homer
11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
You should just PM whatever individual(s) this is meant for, as most people here are already aware of this.

-- Homer

thomastem
11-24-2003, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should just PM whatever individual(s) this is meant for, as most people here are already aware of this.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that most know this yet a problem persists. If most people "here" know this why the problem?

Homer
11-24-2003, 06:38 PM
You say that most know this yet a problem persists. If most people "here" know this why the problem?

I doubt that there are many posters here who berate others at the poker table.

-- Homer

Ulysses
11-24-2003, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the vast majority of players aren't from "here."

thomastem
11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
When poster's here berate someone for writing something a little OT it is the same berating a bad player at the table. You are actually intimidating posters off the SS forum. This is much different than a forum having information or posts that individuals may or may not choose to read.

Noodles
11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
I like the "dont you hate pants?".This is from the episode where Krusty become a "serious" comedian ,right?.
I cant remember but doesnt Homer say this as he hopes Krusty will probably get everyone to burn their pants or something? and why does homer have a problem with his pants i cant remember.but it still makes me laugh.
CANYONERO!!

Joe Tall
11-24-2003, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When poster's here berate someone for writing something a little OT it is the same berating a bad player at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples are red. Oranges are orange. I don't get this at all.

[ QUOTE ]
You are actually intimidating posters off the SS forum

[/ QUOTE ]

As you may have read in the past, we try to reserve the SS forum to SS hand analysis. There are many other forums that see less traffic where such a post as yours belongs.

[ QUOTE ]
This is much different than a forum having information or posts that individuals may or may not choose to read

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what?

Check this link out: "Enjoy a Bad Beat" (http://www.riveredagain.com/articles.htm#Tall_Enjoy_a_Bad_Beat)
Make note of the authors too.

Peace,
JT

Ulysses
11-24-2003, 07:30 PM
WTF?

Ulysses
11-24-2003, 07:32 PM
BTW, the type of comments you listed will often piss off donators and get them to leave, as some guys that aren't very good poker players are still very smart individuals and will recognize or interpret your comments as being insincere and patronizing. That's not fun for them. You should consider the fact that perhaps you are part of the problem.

tj00
11-24-2003, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whether online or in person Poker is first and foremost a social activity

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to disagree with online poker being a social activity. I would say on about 80% of the tables I play there is no interaction between players. For me poker is a monetary activity and for a lot of others it is a gambling activity.

I have never berated players at table for their play. I would guess most of the posters on here do not either. This is a high traffic forum, and I see no problem with having it reserved for hand analysis and similar questions. There are plenty of places at 2+2 to post what ever you want.

I have never seen posters intimadte other posters about what to post. I have seen posters politely ask for OT posts to not be posted here. Then point the poster to the right place for his question or statement.

Ok I am done.

CrackerZack
11-24-2003, 08:57 PM
since you seem intent on letting anyone and everyone post completely retarded inane comments with no useful poker content, please visit www.bolt.com. (http://www.bolt.com.) You'll enjoy it. You'll probably find a lot in common.