PDA

View Full Version : Bluff Raises/Re-raises...

01-14-2002, 01:28 PM
I was playing five and four handed in the wee hours last night/this morning. Anyway, I'm known as a tight player(maybe even weak tight), and I had been running over the game(cards-wise) when it was full and as it got short.

I have found that players like to take shots at me, especially after I have won a few pots uncontested.

The most typical is the check-raise bluff on the turn when there is a pair on board. I combat this by sometimes re-raising with my very weak and very strong hands(hands that beat what is represented), but mostly by just calling with decent hands when facing a likely bluff.

Sometimes I fold as well, but not often heads-up with any type of hand. Calling down is good most of the time, but re-raise bluffing instead of folding is cool once in a while.

The main type of player I re-raise as a bluff against are loose aggressive players who play pretty well(and can fold a hand). Another characteristic I look for is the fact that they resent tight players, use phrases such as "nut-peddler" and "rock", and therefore would be more likely to take a shot at me.

Anyway its fun to 3-bet on a cold bluff. Is it profitable, however?

Bluff raising the river is fun as well. However, it is more straight forward. I find that many players crap their pants when a tighty like me raises them on the river.

01-17-2002, 02:09 AM
"...its fun to 3-bet on a cold bluff. Is it profitable, however? "

I can't think of a situation where this would be a profitable move.

Overall, I think that if you are bluff-raising or reraising and getting away with it, yours is certainly not a very typical game. However, if this is the way it is in your neck of the woods, you should certainly make sure that your image as a "nut-peddler" stays as such. NEVER show your hand when you succeed, all it would take is to get caught once and your rock-like image will be forever shot to hell.

Dave in Cali