PDA

View Full Version : So I watched some Fox News over the weekend...

Boris
11-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Played some online poker over the weekend so I had chance to check out my satellite TV programming. I decided to watch some Fox News because of the discussion on this board. The channel was totally pre-occupied with the Micheal Jackson crap. Every time I switched to the channel they were talking about MJ. They even had an in depth panel discussion about the alleged perversions of MJ. At one point the Fox News moderator chimed "I wouldn't let my kids within 5000 miles of MJ". No Shi t. Thanks for the analysis. I think the Fox News defenders need to hang their heads in shame over the recent Rupert product.

There was one interesting story that was reported though. Apparently a medium level Army officer is being court martialed because he fired his weapon during an interrogation of an Iraqi Geurilla. The detainee would not reveal plans about a pending attack on US forces. After the incident, the officer immediatley reported what had happned to his superiors. Of course I don't know all the details of the incident, but based on the Fox report I would say its a damn shame that field officers are being held to a higher standard war rules than domestic gov't agencies. Seems to me like Army desk jockeys are doing more harm to our troops than any civilian who speaks out against the war. I havn't seen this story reported elsewhere so kudos to Fox for this one.

HDPM
11-24-2003, 02:03 PM
I watched zero minutes of Fox News this weekend. I consider myself ahead of you because of this. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The story about that court martial thing has been around at least a week if not 2.

adios
11-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Lousy journalism doesn't necessarily equate to a conservative bias /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Chris Alger
11-25-2003, 03:00 AM
What's good about the Fox story? Since there's nothing in it to suggest that the prisoner had any such information it sounds like the usual Fox half-story. The policy behind not threatening prisoners with execution is less humanitarian than pragamatic: if rumors fly that prisoners are being executed, fewer will surrender and more U.S. troops will die. Also, the reason for violating the order makes no difference. You do that in the military, you get screwed. That's the military system. Of course it amounts to a more stringent set of standards than those for domestic agencies.