PDA

View Full Version : What does KGB have?????

Schmed
11-24-2003, 12:42 PM
I know kind of a stupid question but I watched Rounders for the millionth time the other night on DVD and then it so happens that while out of town on business it was playing again while I was stuck in a Manchester NH hotel room and I saw a few of my favorite scenes. Obviously one of the best scenes is the final confrontation between Mickey and KGB.

Mike flops the nut str8 while KGB is betting the entire way. What do you put KGB on?? At first I kind of thought that he may have the A10 but I'm thinking 1010. He would have to worry about Mikey having a set and wouldn't go all in with the A10. He most likely put Mikey on A something and when the A hit he was hoping for a call.

Easy E
11-24-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure he had pocket Aces again, but don't quote me.

sleepyjoeyt
11-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I always thought KGB had pocket aces. After the ace falls he says "that ace could not have helped you".

What other hand could he have where he would say that?

No way to know for sure but that's the way I read it.

The bigger question is the Taj scene. Mike sits down at the table (when he sees the "Chesterfield South" crowd - all the guys from NYC). He sits down and no one says anything.

Then Kanish says he's gonna sit down and play, due to Mike's "Ali-like return to the ring" and someone says "Hey, Kanish, don't do us any favors. They were about to go to the board to fill those seats".

If that were the case, how did Mike just sit down and how does Kanish just sit down? Wouldn't they get booted in favor of the people on the board?

ArchAngel71857
11-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Teddy says he puts Mike on a draw. so Teddy could have either a pocket pair, or AT. If so, the ace doesn't complete mike's "draw"

as for the other question; It's a movie.

-AA

daryn
11-24-2003, 02:25 PM
evidently they were numbers 1 and 2 respectively on the list.

coolhandkuhn
11-24-2003, 02:29 PM
I always understood "'Going to the boards' to fill the game" to mean that they were looking for tourists, who notoriously are on the boardwalk, to play against. Making going to the boards to be boardwalk, and not any sort of list for the game. For what it's worth

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-24-2003, 02:37 PM
This has been hashed and rehashed.

He had TT. A couple of people have gone frame by frame and seen it.

Gamblor
11-24-2003, 03:18 PM
TT and he just calls Mike's PF min-raise?

Mike's speech alone would have made me suspicious of a monster

"Okay, I'll gamble."? Who does he think he's playing, brad? Or Cyrus?

daryn
11-24-2003, 03:38 PM
don't drag that crap into this forum

Gamblor
11-24-2003, 04:52 PM

Vagos
11-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Frame by frame? He never shows his hand. How can you possibly know what he has?? The moviemakers clearly had no intention of letting you know KGB's hand why bother making things up when anyone's guess is obviously just speculation.

daryn
11-24-2003, 10:24 PM
OK

JoeU
11-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Vagos,

I have slowed it down frame by frame (the miracle of DVD) and I am almost 100% positive it is a red ten and a black ten. Now without the DVD in hand to review, I remember KGB's character was a tricky, shady one. Traditionally, players that are tricky heads up MIGHT try to trap with a good hand. TT is pretty strong heads up. When he flops top set, he makes Mike try to "pay" for his draw (hence the comment). Obviously the A on the end doesn't complete any draw, neither does the 2 on the turn if I remember correctly, so KGB thinks his set is good.

Bad Judgement! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

banditbdl
11-24-2003, 11:06 PM
When do you see his cards, if you think you can see them after the hand I'd have to argue because he leaves his cards on the table and throws the rest of the deck.

Depraved
11-24-2003, 11:20 PM
He says, "That Ace could not have helped you."

After slowplaying aces in the first part of the movie, what else are we to think? I also don't remember seeing his cards being flashed even remotely but it's been a while since I've watched the movie.

balt999
11-25-2003, 02:27 AM
It's A MOVIE, PEOPLE!!!!!! LEt's not overanalyze Hollywood!!

Michael Davis
11-25-2003, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he had pocket Aces again, but don't quote me.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad.

-Mike

Duke
11-25-2003, 04:05 AM
Ask Johnny Chan.

~D

Gamblor
11-25-2003, 10:47 AM
If you'll recall, he almost resigns to throwing his chips in to Mike's PF raise w/ 98s.

Why would Teddy bet the pot on the turn with top set if he knows Mike would play back at him big with any legitimate hand?

Furthermore, He also knows that Mike is capable of folding a monster (the top two vs. made straight hand) because he knows Mike has picked up a tell on him.

It's virtually impossible for him to have AA.