PDA

View Full Version : A "free" play from the BB

Shargaas
11-24-2003, 11:57 AM
I had been at the table for a while and I post in the BB with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. It gets folded around to a loose MP player who calls. Shockingly, it gets folded all the way back to me, and I check.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hmmm now what to do. It seems to me most players would raise just about any A when it's folded to them in MP (is this a faulty assumption?) and there is a good chance I have the best hand. I bet and he calls.

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Very nice turn, I bet again, and he calls.

River: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet and now he raises. What is the play here?

ScottTheFish
11-24-2003, 12:37 PM
I sometimes think I'm too loose at the river, but I doubt I fold trips right here. Maybe he has 88 for a set of 8s, or maybe he has a flush, but in my experieice at these limits it's just as likely he just hit 2 pair, or he's bluffing at the flush.

But I'm a fish, so treat my comments with all the respect they deserve /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lil'
11-24-2003, 12:40 PM
This is one of those where if I call and I win I kick myself, and if I 3 bet and lose I kick myself.

I'll say call.

Shargaas
11-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Heh, I have been there a few times. I didn't like the raise one little bit, I was hoping for the passive call and him mucking. Alas, the raise was there and I didn't really consider 3-betting for long, if at all. This player was usually pretty passive so I had a bad feeling the river was kinder to him than to me. I will put up the results a bit later.

gcue
11-25-2003, 01:24 AM
I think that's a pretty simple call(no 3bet and no fold), and my guess is that he had A8 with the flush being backdoor and all.

Shargaas
11-25-2003, 11:24 AM
If only you had been right about A8....

I called (I didn't think folding was an option) and he flipped over 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the runner runner flush.

gcue
11-25-2003, 01:28 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif bummer

On a side note, having position and being heads up I think I'd raise with his hand on that flop possibly pick up the pot right there and if not at least hopefully getting to see 5th street for free, anyone else? or is that bad?