PDA

View Full Version : Why I said I don't like WLLHE

Ace-Korea
11-24-2003, 05:02 AM
Well, I guess I can't really say I don't like the book since I haven't finished reading it yet. But from what I've read so far, it just doesn't seem to be as good as many people say it is. Lee Jones gives so many advices in his book, but he hardly explains why those advices are true. For instance, in 'Playing Pre-flop in EP' section in the book, he wrote,

"In the previous edition, I was hesitant recommending a raise with AK (suited or not). That was a mistake. You should raise with AK simply because it figures out to be the best hand out." [p. 39, Jones]

While this advice is not too terrible, seeing only white and black with such a hand is not a way to optimize profit. In low-limit loose games, sometimes it's much more profitable to just call with AK in EP. Say an ace flops and someone in MP or LP has AQ or lower. He will surely bet after I check to him on the flop. Now I can check-raise him on the turn. But if I raised pre-flop with AK and bet out on the flop, almost everyone would fold unless they have something strong too (e.g. 2pair, straight/flush draws). Of course, someone might raise with AQ or AJ. But what if he's a loose-passive player like so many players in loose games are? Also, it's a good idea to mix up your strategies to throw your opponents off.

TOP, on the other hand, has an entire chapter on raising and it gives many reasons why raising MIGHT be the best move in certain situations. (I like how Sklansky uses words like 'might' and not flat-out tells the reader what to do.)

In my opinion, Gary Carson's book on hold 'em is a much better introductory book for beginners. He touches so many topics and concepts in the book with through explanations. (He even talks about this forum in his book. He says he's a regular visitor. /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Nottom
11-24-2003, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But if I raised pre-flop with AK and bet out on the flop, almost everyone would fold unless they have something strong too (e.g. 2pair, straight/flush draws).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to sit down in a low-limit game where this is the case.

CrackerZack
11-24-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure Carson doesn't come here anymore as he's such a fan of Mason's.

Your description of AK makes no sense. I have never ever seen a LL limit game where I raise PF with AK, bet an A-high flop and have anyone fold an Ace. The only LL game that might qualify is the 2+2 game but that is so tight isn't not typical, or instructional as its supposed to be. You should work on game selection if this is the case.

Mason Malmuth
11-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi CZ:

Carson's barred from this site.

He use to post here, but then he, along with Badger, demanded that all of their posts be removed from our archives. Chuck decided to go ahead and do this even though it created additional work for him, but in return both of these people are no longer allowed to post here.

Best wishes,
Mason

Ace-Korea
11-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Maybe I should give Party a try, b/c sometimes I don't get "paid off" at UB with hands like AK when I make a bet.

I don't know what the story is with Carson and this forum, so I won't go there.

Cheers