PDA

View Full Version : pocket jakes

jt1
11-24-2003, 02:01 AM
I'm at a loose passive table $3-6. Im in MP with one limper pre-flop. I get red pocket Jacks; I raise. Immediate left calls, CO raises and another caller on the BB. I re-raise, CO caps. All called.

The flop is Ac 6s 4d. Checked to the raiser, he bets. Button folds. My immediate right calls. I raise. My immediate left folds. CO calls. My immediate right calls.

The turn is a Qd. Checked to me. I bet. Co calls. Immediate right calls.

The river is a Jack. I bet and all call.

Is the checkraise a good move on the flop?

Bob T.
11-24-2003, 02:12 AM
Is the checkraise a good move on the flop?

NO.

You get an Ace high flop, after it was capped preflop, and four people saw the flop. You are probably drawing to two outs, but you almost have the odds to chase those two, as long as the button doesn't have AA. Calling is marginal, but as long as you were closing the action, it is OK. The turn card is even worse, you are now drawing dead to another hand that might be out there. And if you weren't drawing to two outs before, you are more likely to be now.

Nice river card.

jt1
11-24-2003, 02:54 AM
I check raised to see if he had the Aces. I bet the turn because i was emboldend by his passive call. I should have checked the turn in reverence to the player on my right. (is that good logic -- in a head to head game would you have check raised the bettor, and bet the turn) I would have checked the river if I didn't get a Jack.

Bob T.
11-24-2003, 02:58 AM
Right, what is the caller in there with, probably A-rag, and he probably isn't the kind to lay it down.

ThingDo
11-24-2003, 03:02 AM
Sorry JT... this hand was played poorly. I've noticed in some of your recent threads that you had been playing passivley because you had been getting sucked out on a lot. Players said that you should play more agressive, and they were right. However, you need to find the right time and place for your ( what seems to me ) new found agression. This certainly isn't a good spot for that sort of thing and it will only cost you money in the long run. I'm not saying that you should revert back to your passive ways, but you really need to pick your spots. Just a thought.