PDA

View Full Version : When you've been a rock...

psychprof
11-23-2003, 05:55 PM
...what do you play to change your image?

Sometimes, on a bad streak of cards, the button will pass me several times before I get a hand worth playing. Then, when I raise, or even limp, I don't get much action (maybe one person will call me down, instead of several seeing the river as usual).

So what do you do when you get on a terrible run of cards (and have good starting hand standards) and are viewed as a rock?

Would it be smart to play a junk hand once every two orbits if you haven't played otherwise? If so, which of the following junk hands would you play?
1. Any face card/x offsuit (K4o)
2. Any two suited (92s)
3. Any two offsuit connectors (56o)

Or would it be better to just keep folding and waiting for decent cards to come? (Which is what I've been doing)

I know it's easy to be seen as a rock when more than half the table plays any two cards, but sometimes it has gotten pretty extreme for me and so I was wondering how to handle it.
Thanks,
psychprof

Nottom
11-23-2003, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be smart to play a junk hand once every two orbits if you haven't played otherwise? If so, which of the following junk hands would you play?
2. Any two suited (92s)

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all garbage, you should never be playing trash just because you aren't getting good cards.

If you feel like your raises aren't getting any action then maybe you can raise with a medium suited connector or a small pair out of position where EV loss isn't all that great. In most online games its not worth the effort and you should just wait out the crappy run of cards.

Sarge85
11-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Change Tables....

Sven
11-23-2003, 06:23 PM
I have been wondering the same thing for a while. If your getting to much respect at a given table maybe find a softer table. I was also wondering if anyone has tired just moving to a different table? I know the longer you play it's all suppose to even out so to speak but. Some times I will play 2 tables and if I'm on a dry spell at one I will sit out a orbit or 2 while playing at the other table.

In HPFAP's Sklansky suggests if you have a strong hand and if you bet you will probably chase everyone out with your bet, Then maybe checking is a better option. Just a thought

lil'
11-23-2003, 07:48 PM
I prefer to have an image of someone whose bets and raises should be respected. It has its advantages.

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Then, when I raise, or even limp, I don't get much action (maybe one person will call me down, instead of several seeing the river as usual).

Then raise until they call you down. Start raising with middle and bottom pairs. If they fold, start stealing with impunity.

lil'
11-24-2003, 12:02 AM

Also, the key here is not to limp with junk hands, that will just cost you money. The key is to raise with more hands, not limp.

psychprof
11-24-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the good advice. At times like this, I'm not getting any pairs to limp with, much less raise, so raising more often doesn't seem to be an option. I'm talking about a 3 or 4 orbit run of cards like T2o, 94o, 83s, and the like.

The lingering fish in me is tempted to play an "any two suited" hand after 30 folds, but I'll take your advice and wait it out or move to another table.

As for wanting your raises to get respect, I agree and have used it to my advantage when I can. But winning the blinds when you raise with AA just doesn't seem very rewarding /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(But I guess it's better than losing at the river to T2o /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Joe Tall
11-24-2003, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Any two suited (92s)

[/ QUOTE ]

These hands are moldy cheese. Try raising w/76s or J9s after limpers to create more action, at least you won't be losing so much EV.

Peace,
JT