PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay this hand?

chesspain
11-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Party 1/2 Average table

I'm on the button, and am dealt Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

It's folded around to the CO poster who checks...I normally toss QJo, but given the lack of action, I decided to call (maybe I should have raised?)...SB calls, BB raises (DOH!), CO calls, I call, SB calls...

9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, CO folds, I raise, SB folds, BB calls

[9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, I bet, BB calls

[9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I check...results below...
BB shows Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif and takes the pot.

Saborion
11-23-2003, 05:52 PM
If you do decide to play that hand in a scenario like this, surely raising pre-flop must be the better option?

Gomez22
11-23-2003, 06:04 PM
I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but.... depending on the read for BB, I would check/call here for every street, unless flopping a monster (or picking one up on the turn/river). I always think, "BB has a chance to see the flop for free, so he MUST have something to raise like this." If I make a hand, I'm going to call down with it maybe 85% of the time..... Also, I think raising the flop is bad here, but he DID only call, so I'm thinking he's a little weak/tight... In that case, you have to think he has something... If someone's weak tight and they raise PF, it should say something..... I woulda put him on either a PP, AJ, or queens... for someone not to 3-bet on the flop, I'd think he did NOT have aces or kings.

On a little sidenote, I was playing TGC .50/1.00 this morning, was on button with 4 limpers with AJo... I raised, all called, flopped a jack, checked to me, I bet, all called, turned a blank, checked to me, I bet, all called, river was another blank, checked to me, I bet, all call.........

MP had pocket kings..... un f'n real how much some players are afraid to play pocket pairs.....

Sven
11-23-2003, 06:07 PM
I would only limp sometimes with QJo as its so easy to have the second best hand. Once the BB raises that would have gotten my attention. On the flop when BB bets and you raise. Then comes the Turn and the BB checks when he see's the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif you almost have to figure he has 1 pair smaller than K'ings and lots of people raise with JJ's or Higher or hes now worried about the flush! On the river it would not have mattered I think if you bet or not he was not going anywhere. Did you think you were ahead or behind by the time you got to the river?

chesspain
11-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks to all who've responded so far. In retrospect, I should have raised PF, although that wouldn't have changed the outcome of the hand. Having a CO poster made me think that attempting a blind steal would be more difficult, with three players to deal with, although as I think about it now posters who check are probably just as likely to fold to a raise as are the blinds.

When BB bet out on the flop, I raised to try to see where I stood, since many PF raisers would be just as likely to bet out on this board with TT, AQ, AT, or A9s as they would with a higher PP or even a flopped set. I apparently spooked him with my flop raise, given his passivity afterwards.

When the K hit on the turn, I assumed it would be a scary card for him if he didn't have a K or the flush. I thought a bet might make him fold AJ or possibly even QQ, as well as other hands he could have with which he might outdraw me (AQ, A9). I was preparing to fold to a checkraise, but he only called. Since he didn't fold to my turn bet, I didn't even bother to waste a bet bluffing on the river.

Does my thinking make any sense?

Sven
11-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Why do you think you should have raised PF for? Just trying to get your point of view /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chesspain
11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Advantages of raising PF here:

1. Try to knock out crappy Ax and Kx hands
2. Easier to represent a pair if you bet into a raggedy flop

lil'
11-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Raise pre-flop. Look at all that dead money!

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Raising preflop would not have changed the outcome of this game.

Your opponent missed a bet on the river.

You lost the minimum here. I think your opponent misplayed his or her hand worse than you did.

chesspain
11-23-2003, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You lost the minimum here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like kudos for me!

[ QUOTE ]
I think your opponent misplayed his or her hand worse than you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then again, maybe not /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 09:45 PM
That sounds like kudos for me!

Indeed I gave you kudos for losing the minimum.

[ QUOTE ]
I think your opponent misplayed his or her hand worse than you did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked if you misplayed this hand, I simply responded /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

chesspain
11-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Sorry if I misinterpreted what I thought was some sarcasm in the latter statement. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JTG51
11-23-2003, 10:09 PM

Why does that matter? Raising preflop is clearly the best play, the results don't change that.

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Why does that matter? Raising preflop is clearly the best play, the results don't change that.

I agree, however it seemed to me that that some posters felt hero could have won the hand if he raised preflop.

SwordFish
11-24-2003, 05:00 AM

While I agree that the BB completely misplayed his hand up until the river, isn't it results oriented to say he missed a bet on the river ?

From the BB's point of view; his opponent raised him on the flop, then bet into a flush board that contained an over card to his pair on the turn. Because he misplayed the beginning of the hand, he has no idea where he stands and has to feel his QQ is second best here. So he checked.

Or am I missing something ?

SF

Joe Tall
11-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Raise this preflop as all you have is dead-money random-hands right now. You could easily have the best hand.

What type of player is the BB? I'd check through the turn here, but would have played the flop the same way.

Peace,
JT