PDA

View Full Version : Who would bet this river

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone, I will post the results of this hand in a different post later on.

Typical .50-1.00 at Party Poker.

Five limpers to me on the button and I get J /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I call the small blind completes and the big blind checks.

Flop [ 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

Checked to a player in fourth position who bets. This player betting could mean anything. He could have an Ace he could have a 2. Folded to me and I call. I thought about having to call two more bets if it got check raised and I thought I could safely call and fold to a check raise. I thought of raising however I thought in this spot calling felt like the better play. Everyone else folds.

Turn 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I check behind.

River 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, whats the best play?

Saborion
11-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Tough one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think I take the free showdown. I wouldn`t be surprised to see a K with a bad kicker out there.

Edit: Didn`t see that it was HU. Bet.

SacraVia
11-23-2003, 03:53 PM
You have to bet the river. You know the villian does not have a duece because he would have bet the turn. Does not have a K because he would have bet the turn or river. Pocket 7s or Pocket Js are out because he would have bet turn/river/flop.

So this leaves him with only a few hands most of which you win against, ie Ax, Qx, JT, etc. You most likely have the best hand. If he does have a 2 or K, hes an idiot and put him on your favorites. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bet and take it down.

Sven
11-23-2003, 03:56 PM
No one raises preflop so no one really likes there hands yet! or at least well enough for a raise. Well on the flop when MP1 Bets and you call I think its a good call on the four flush. Then the turn comes and diamond appears. and MP1 now checks and your check I think is good. My thinking if he had K with a bad kicker why didn't he bet the turn? He bet the flop why loose that momentum by checking the turn? Unless he took a stabb at the deuces on the flop and thought it would scare everyone off! Then he checks the river again if he was trying for a check raise on the turn and didn't get it I would think he would bet out on the river! I guess either call or bet would be ok here. Is my thinking here all messed up? If so could or would someone straighten it out for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rkiray
11-23-2003, 03:56 PM
pf call seems loose to me. I guess you figured you could out play them postflop?

I would bet. If he had anything that beat you, I think he would have bet and he sounds bad enough to call with almost anything.

chesspain
11-23-2003, 04:15 PM
MG,

You flop a four-flush and you're thinking of folding to a checkraise, as if someone is going to be holding K2. Or are you afraid you're up against a higher four-flush? And then you wonder if you should bet the river when you make second pair.

Maybe these are reasons why one shouldn't play trash like J3s /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 04:17 PM
I bet the river, my opponent called and I took it down.

My opponent had Ace high.

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Sacra,

Who gave you the recipe to my Kool-Aid? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pretty much what I thought before I bet the river.

ramjam
11-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Well put.

MG - just how low do your button limping standards go? Do you think J3s is a profitable hand to play from this position?

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Sven,

Is my thinking here all messed up? If so could or would someone straighten it out for me

No straightening out needed your on the correct path.

If you intended to say my opponent will check and call with a worse hand but bet a better hand, then you have the correct reasoning.

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 04:35 PM
pf call seems loose to me. I guess you figured you could out play them postflop?

If you wont call with two suited cards after six limpers from the button, than you might want to reconsider the value of certain hands in certain situations.

I would not call this call loose.

I would bet. If he had anything that beat you, I think he would have bet and he sounds bad enough to call with almost anything.

You redeemed yourself on the river. I thought along those lines.

Mike Gallo
11-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Chess,

I didnt wonder if I should bet the river. I knew I would bet as soon as the Jack hit.

I posted this to test some of the posters hand reading skills.

Maybe these are reasons why one shouldn't play trash like J3s

One mans trash is another mans treasure. Perhaps you do not know how to bargain shop.

Sven
11-23-2003, 04:57 PM
That's good to here /images/graemlins/smile.gif Well on the river I knew he didn't have a hand or he would have bet and I agree with the bet on the river and call any raise.

rkiray
11-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Qxs is as low as I go with multiple limpers. J7s I would call with in this hand. No lower.