PDA

View Full Version : Boy did I enjoy this conversation.

01-10-2002, 05:46 AM
Got home from work and decided to play some internet tournament poker to relax. Joined in a $10 tourney and readied for battle. Sat for 2 rounds, didn't see a flop when all of a sudden, I get AQs on the blind. UTG raises and all fold to me. I have seen this player raise with some very tenable holdings so I decided that I would challenge him. The flop came 334 with one spade. I check, he bets and I call with the intention of making a brilliant play at the turn. There it is, the seven of spades, I have two overcards and a flush draw. I check, he bets I raise and he reraises. oops. Ok, I call. The river is a spade, I almost peed. I check with my mouse over the raise area of my screen. Drat, foiled, he checks. Oh well, stuck with the pot. Suddenly he types in:

"lol, raise raise raise and then check when you make your hand" I said nothing. He doesn't stop though. "I have seen some stupid plays but that was a classic" (or something like that) I said nothing. Next hand. I have KJo from the SB, he is the BB. Flop is J62, I check, he bets, I call. Turn is an 8, I check he bets, I call. River is a ugly, off suit 9. I check he bets, I call and he shows me 2 pair, 8's and 6's. I don't show my hand. He continues to berate me for the last hand. Finally I reply, "you just sucked out on a hand yourself so give it a rest" and then the fun begins. (I hate myself for speaking at this point, I don't know why I said anything. tired maybe) I digress. Here is the conversation.

Him: "if you would have bet your hand I wouldn't have won". (good point)

Me: "I didn't mind having you bet the worst hand whether I won or not" (stupid thing to say)

Me: "Nonetheless, I appreciate your help and I will try to improve my playl. That will be better for you right?" (now I'm getting the hang of it)

Him: "Don't barter, I will sleep fine whether you play well or not" (yeah, whatever)

Me: "I'm sure you will since you are not bright enough to get the point of what I just said"

(ouch)

Him: "There was no point" (uh huh)

Me: "Exactly"

Him: "you are so smart" (sarcasm?? maybe)

Me: "not really or I wouldn't have wasted precious time and energy responding to foolish immature remarks" (too much you think??)

Him: "you started it" (original)

Me: "Once again....Exactly" (too easy)

Conversation ends. Witty repartee over. I agree, I played both hands pretty bad but what was he hoping to accomplish?? Whatever it was, I took it to heart, shook my head, played way better and ended up winning that tournament busting him along the way.

Sometimes life has such a wonderful way of working itself out, doesn't it????

Larry

01-11-2002, 08:35 AM

01-12-2002, 02:48 AM
I decided a few months ago that the chat enjoryment:irritation ration wasn't high enough. So most of the time, or at the first sign of snottiness, I flip it off, and I've been alot happier since. ;-)

best,

zooey

01-12-2002, 04:54 PM
I would maybe do the same, except that I can often put a jerk in their place when they start going of at one of the weaker players. I don't get irritated at all, in fact, sometimes these short little diatribes can be very humorous. Usually I find that the guy who is going off doesn't mean to be a jerk, he is just venting some frustration and doesn't always realize what he is doing. A gentler reminder here and there can make the game a lot more pleasant for everyone.

Larry

01-12-2002, 04:56 PM
it's good that you won so that now you can justify all those brilliant comments you made by the results that you got. it must be fate that ultimately led to your teetering over top of your vanquished foes, triumphantly climbing to the top of that giant pile of money that inevitably was going to be yours anyway due to your stupendous brilliance in matters of theory and debate...

OK, OK. Enough of the sarcasm. I'm in a weird mood today! Actually, there is some value gained from having read and reponded to your post, and as soon as I figure out what it is, I'll let you know! Oops, I did it again! Seriously though, the entertainment value of your post was worthy of the effort I spewed forth in replying to it... Keep up the good work!

Dave in Cali

01-12-2002, 07:29 PM
I'm glad that we have someone out there ensuring that kinder and gentler-isms get spread throughout this great and noble land of ours. Without such stupendous beings such as yourself, these jerks might just be frustrated then vent against any old bad player who happens to get in the way at the time. BUT - if we can kinder and gentler-ize everyone the way that you do for us every day, the world will be so much closer to the world that our former magnanimous republican leader, George Bush (SR), envisioned for all americans that day... please, do not faulter, and do not fail on your mission of ultimate humanitarian mercy...

seriously though, I think the humor of this thread is being lost on certain individuals... they just need to find the Magoo in all of us, then find it in themselves. then, and only then, will they find true bliss, as have you...